new to recurve bow

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by crohunter, Aug 15, 2014.

1. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hi guys...need some advice...i want to buy recurve bow for hunting..nothing expensive, look to samick deer master 40#....is that be enough for roe deer or maybe hog? want shoot from the shelf, did i must use feathers on carbon arrows? what about samick quality? oh god...i have too much question....i hunt with compound bow but want practice with recurve bow and later hunt with it..

2. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Northeast Mississippi/West Central Illinois
    I got my Samick Sage from RMS Gear. They are great to work with and they told me that #40 is just plenty. Get too heavy a poundage and you will probably struggle at first and your form won't be as good.

3. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot from the shelf you must use feathers. 40# is good for whitetail deer and smaller hogs.

4. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to steer anyone away from this forum but when I want to talk traditional equipment I go on Tradgang.com
    I have gotten way more traditional info off that forum than on here. Good Luck

5. crohunter

Dislikes Received:
    ok..what arrows you guys recomended?

6. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some Carbon Express Predator II from RMS. They will fletch them with the feathers of your choice and cut/insert them as well. There are some carbon arrows that they've painted to look like wood which I will probably get once I work my way up in weight to a new bow.

7. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can get them just shafts if you want though. The fletched and ready to roll version costs about $25 more but they'll do a great job.

8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up a samick deer master a few weeks ago. Shot it a decent amount now. Feels great, with beaver balls it's decently quiet. I don't have tons of experience with many recurves yet but I have no complaints with it. I think it's a sweet shooting bow. I'm just shooting wood arrows from 3 rivers with feathers, but tried some axis traditional with a buddy and they shoot great too. Probably lots that would work fine

9. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    TradGang is good but not what it used to be. Bowsite's Leatherwall is very good and Archery Talk traditional forum is also very good and Tradtalk.com (highly technical) Not to say that you can't find good info here.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  10. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Most any arrow that is spined correct and has proper FOC will work, wood, aluminum or carbon. Tuning is paramount to form. Three under or split finger is a choice. Instinctive, gap or walking the string will develop in time.

11. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plenty of knowledge here.. I know VA and myself alone have over 100 years experience.. and there are plenty of others too.

Wood arrows are fine, like other arrows they need to be inspected regularly for damage. Sounds like you've got a bow you're happy with and the secret to trad. bows is finding one that fits you. Lots of questions... just ask.

I think finding someone with lots of experience, living locally, to help you will shorten the learning curve.

12. JimPic

JimPic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some of the members here are also members on tradgang, stickbow, AT, TT...good info is good info no matter where you get it from :-)

13. crohunter

Dislikes Received:
    thanks to info....this forum is best to me..i learn much from here..and dont want bored with another forum..!

14. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wrote a post earlier on my review of my current samick journey. It's a great, but the more i use it the more I feel i feel like i am holding a brick in my hand. I don't know if the hand weight of the samick journey is the same with other samick bows or not, but I did get my first robin hood with it at 10 yards. It is 45 lbs shot with 400 spine easton axis with 5 inch parabolic fletching. stick with carbon and aluminum at first, otherwise you are likely to break more wood arrows than you would want to purchase. That was just my experience starting out. I am planning on selling my samick journey for a longbow or perhaps another 64 inch recurve, but have it be a lighter weight, undecided about it being a take down or one piece.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014