New guy in archery

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by D-min, Jul 31, 2014.

1. D-min

D-min Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,
    I recently switched to the dark side of hunting, and am becoming a bow hunter.
    My grandfather has been in archery for 20 years or more
    And he helped me find a good bow. I bought a PSE Blackhawk 45# 60" .
    I have a half dozen Gold Tip 3555/500 8.6gr arrows with 100 grain field tips. I have
    Been shooting since mid march and can shoot decent groups at 20-30 feet.
    I am looking for some advice and help especially with arrow choices. My grandfather
    Has been a great mentor, but he does not know anything about the carbon arrows, he makes
    His own alluminum arrows. I need help with finding arrows that I can shoot for hunting and what broad head tips
    I should look at.
    Thanks for the advice.

2. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The arrows you have are just fine for hunting. As far as broadheads I would recommend any fixed blade cut on contact. You'll have to be sure that the broadhead that you buy flies and impacts the target the same as your field tips. There's a lot of trail and error in archery.

Welcome to the addiction/obsession world of archery and bowhunting. I've been hooked for over 50 years.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and to Bowhunting! Easton Epic Axis ST, Carbon Express Mayhem and Gold Tip are great arrows to name a few. If you want the best of both worlds (carbon and aluminum) try the Easton Full Metal Jacket. Solid Legend 100 Broadheads, NAP Hellrazor and Magnus Stinger Broadheads are great fixed broadheads to name a few.

4. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the sight. Keep shooting and don't give up. I also have gold tip I like them a lot. I have the ****s sporting goods brand
    Gold Tip Devistators. I have shot them well over a thousand time's since I got them. I have missed the target many times and only had one brake. I have one arrow that has a mind of its own but that one is for practice. Try shooting from 40yrds and your groups will get tighter from 20 and 30.

5. D-min

D-min Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thanks for the info. I bought my arrows at wholesale sports, usually hate that store but the guy there knew something about arrows. Next time I will try cabelas for arrows because I do know the name Easton and a few others. I know that my grandfather gets his supplies at the Traditional Bow hunters of Washington rendezvous, which thanks to work I won't make, and then makes the aluminum arrows he uses.
    So on the grain weight, I have to shoot at least 300 grain arrows for hunting in WA. So how does that work with the cargo. Arrows?

6. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to ask are you shooting off the shelf? If you are do the arrows have feathers or vanes? You can only shoot arrow fletched with feathers if you are shooting off the shelf otherwise you'll need an arrow rest.

7. D-min

D-min Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting off the shelf using feathers. That was one of my first lessons in bows. I feel that shooting off the shelf is better and easier, though that thought May have changed.

8. Scooter135

Scooter135 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend you get 100 grain brass inserts cause the 3555's are gonna be way to stuff for a 45# bow and only 100 grain tips up front. I would say you may want the inserts and 150 grain tips. Just my .02

9. D-min

D-min Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had some very light arrows that I was shooting. I was told to get 175gr field tips. I will be looking for something g heavier.