Interesting arrow test findings. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by VA Bowbender, Jun 30, 2014.

1. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just out of boredom today I did a test on arrow flight of 2 completely different arrows from the same bow.

BOW: Bear Magnesium Take Down, B riser 45#, No. 3 limbs (64") = 48#
    ARROW SET #1: GT 3555, 100gr tip= 360gr total weight
    ARROW SET #2: GT 5575 250gr tip = 560gr total weight

I shot both sets of arrows from 20 yards. Both sets flew very well and were both grouping excellently. Now obviously the lighter arrows shot faster and flatter than the heavier ones. I was quite surprised at the similarities.

Question for you, (I have my own ideas as to what to do) would you rather hunt with a flatter/faster arrow and depend on shot placement or a heavier arrow with greater kinetic energy?

This thread is for discussion not as a right/wrong banter back and forth.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Flat and fast. Dont want them to jump the arrow. I have so many arrows go straight threw their cage wouldnt ever need to hunt any heavier anyway.

3. Scooter135

Scooter135 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a very good question. I have had the same dilemma.

So for my first couple years I shot Easton Axis Traditional Carbon arrows with 125's. Then this year I switched over to GT Traditional Carbons with 125's. The Easton's were pushing 168fps and weighted 508g total. The GT's are at about 173fps and weight 489g. The Easton's end up with better penetration but the GT's travel a little faster. The penetration difference between the two into a Black Hole target was only 1/2 inch. So I stuck with the GT's due to durability and for no other reason. Durability was the only reason why.

4. Devon8762

Devon8762 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess the real question is what do you hunt, if it's small southern white tail then yes lighter and faster but if you come out west and hunt elk and stuff then heavier all day