What do you do to increase your range and have fun practicing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Matr138920, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to shoot every day if I can, but I find my self doing the same thing over and over again for practice. I start out at 15yds then move to 20 yards, my max range also due to the fact I don't have any further to practice in my yard,
    so I ask you what do you do to make practice fun and what do you do to help increase your effective range?

2. JustDad1520

JustDad1520 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I'm lucky. My Dad and stepson both practice with me. We have enough land to set up a small 3d shoot. We generally shoot back to 40 yards. We make it fun by challenging each other.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

3. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have room to shoot unlimited distances but seldom do so. Most of my shooting is 10-20 yards with occasional shooting out to 30 yards. Increasing my effective range isn't on my list of things to do as I don't see the need for it in my hunting.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Take you 3d deer target to the area where you hunt. Climb a different tree and shoot from an elevated position. If you have a friend that hunts too, take them with you and try this:

Climb in your stand with your bow, 6 arrows and your range finder.
    Turn your back to the target.
    Have your friend move the target to various yardages and locations
    Then, once he is safely away, have him tell you to turn around.
    You have 30 secs to locate the deer, range it, check for other eyes, stand and make the shot.
    Then, do do the same for him. You can also turn the deer at different angles to simulate a quartering away or broadside shot.
    LOTS OF FUN and will help you tremendously!!

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my yard I could practice out to 100 yards if I want too. In the end it still don't effect my effective range of no further then 20 yards. It is what it is with these type of bows. That's the challenge though of bow hunting. Getting them close.

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To increase distance... your shoulder back and arm muscles really have to be strengthened to hold steady on a smaller target point. I am not sure anything replaces strength training to maintain proper form at longer distances. Good luck.

7. zaleski

zaleski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up some new vanes this week and the shoot great, it's really helped my grouping flexfletch.com and I've been trying to practice a lot more also. I full agree with Muzzy Man by the way great tips. Hope this could help some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bplayer405

bplayer405 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in town where you can't discharge any weapon legally so I have an 8 yd indoor area in my house. Have to drive half an hour to where I hunt to practice longer distances so I focus on hitting a dime sized dot on my target at home. I'm not satisfied until all my arrows are touching a dot per round of shooting.

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Regular Push-up routine for strengthening and practicing 60yd shots for better focus.

10. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill take a water bottle full of water and swing it with a string and nail it then when I do ill shoot the string disconnecting the bottle... but when I do this I tend to shoot my arrows into one another. Then get mad cause I wasted more arrows

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

11. Magicman

Magicman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Stand at target and throw arrows to different locations and distances. Walk to each arrow and shoot target wherever arrows land. Start trying to throw them farther and farther!