VIEWPOINT-Elitist Attitude

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by VA Bowbender, Apr 14, 2014.

1. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will probably get jumped all over for this but I have to express what I'm seeing.

I've been shooting recurves for over 50 years. When I started there was no "traditional" archery we were all just Bowhunters or Archers. As compounds came into their own there became an elitist attitude among them where they looked down at the recurve and longbow shooters. They also developed somewhat of a snobby attitude toward each other. Now I see a lot of admiration for what we can do with our bows.

Now what I'm seeing on different forums is a complete reversal of roles. The "traditional" shooters are developing the same attitude toward the high tech archers and even among the ranks of traditional shooters.

Now I do have to say that when I go to some of the various rendezvous there still exists a tight camaraderie.

If we are to maintain what we all love to do, shoot arrows at things, shouldn't we try to find a more common ground? Or the famous quote "can't we all just get along"?

How do you feel about this? Have you seen the same? Why?

Try to keep it a civil discussion.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

2. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see the traditional bash the compounds...been that way since I started bow hunting....i only see it on the Internet and the forums though...noone I hang out is ignorant enough to care what anyone uses....if its a legal hunting device then more power to ya....traditional is way more BA than compounds in my opinion....I've never shot one but admire the idea and skill greatly

Tony and his crossbow mumbo jumbo would be thrown out of camp though:p;)

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't whit eased that in person. Only in the Internet. Where I tend to see it more is with vertical bows versus Xbows. Now, I have had issues with Xbow before. Mainly due to other issues rather than what they shoot.

4. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From most of my observations... Most traditional shooters are also likely fly fishermen.

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These days, i see the compound guys bash the crossbow guys while they are worshipping the trad guys.

I think we should all just do what makes us happy (legally) and not worry so much about others.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot both and love both. I don't really care what other people think. Best part about archery is I have the option to shoot alone. :)

7. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the "mechanical broad head and trad. bows" thread if you want an answer to your question.

8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think just after getting into hunting all around it seems like there's the bitterness for any circumstance that anyone has that is different. Definitely agree it's between the different types of bows. Seems like almost any topic turns to it, broadheads, minerals, arrows, brands of anything, styles. I think everyone could really improve it for everyone by not cutting eachother down and encouraging instead or at least just being happy and humble with what they do. I've seen it a few times at ranges and that's with only getting into a bow last winter, but read it almost every thread on forums. I think internet and typing brings up the level of emotion or emphasis people put into it too. It makes it so impersonal that anyone becomes way tougher and arrogant at a keyboard. I think the differences in all of it make it more interesting and personalized, and probably adds a lot to the enjoyment of it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk