Back pain with recurve

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Ladydeerkiller, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just started practicing with my recurve. Am I doing something wrong? I have sore back muscles that I didn't know I had. My bow is a Hoyt Buffalo 60" my draw wt is only 35 lb and draw length is 26". I expected to be a little sore, but I thought it would be in my arms. I wasn't this sore with my compound. Just curious, my form is correct, I think. Will continue practicing when I can take a deep breath.

2. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently also got a recurve and I have been hunting/shooting with compounds for 10 years. And thought a 50 lb recurve wouldn't be that hard to pull and shoot and I figured out that it was it harder than it seemed. I get some muscle fatigue in my shoulders and shoulder blades with the first few practice sessions .I now try to keep my practice sessions short and sweet. I figure over time I will build muscle / muscle memory and will have less fatigue. Hope this helps

3. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I guess I need to do short practices. One of the dad's on my g'daughter's travel softball team only shoots a recurve and he told me that meant I was finally using the correct muscles....I would've laughed, but it hurt too much. Guess we both better slow down. Lol but I do look forward to shooting this bow, just going to take a little bit longer than I had thought.