oak arrows???

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by breazyears, Feb 5, 2014.

1. breazyears

breazyears Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just wondering if oak dowling is a suitable wood for making my own arrows. I know what to look for in the grain etc, My bow is a Mollegabet 47# @28". Can't find any cedar, or any other wood for that matter.

2. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered some test kits from 3 rivers. Came very quickly and very reasonably priced. I haven't got to shooting yet so can't give verdict, but heard good things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. breazyears

Dislikes Received:
    Ya, I know their is a lot of places on-line to buy wood arrows but I just want to find some locally. Really just wondering if anyone has made them from oak, and how they preformed. Of coarse their bow would have to be similar to my draw weight, and length.

5. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They will do just fine if you can find oak dowels that have the correct spine and that are close in weight you need.. this can be difficult to do.

Good luck.

6. breazyears

Dislikes Received:
    Your right about that.
    finding the correct spine will be a challenge as I don't have a spine tester, or an arrow with a 450 spine to compare it to. I say 450 spine because I have been told that you should have 100 spine for every 10 pounds of weight. My bow is 47lbs at 28".
    My local archery shop sell carbon arrows with feathers, but their $40.00 a half dozen and my hole objective when entering into trad was to keep my spending to a minimum. I made my bow...including string for about $30.00. made my arm guard for nothing as I had some thick leather from another project. Made a fletching jig for nothing, and got feathers from my local art supply store for $3.00 a dozen.
    Thanks for the help.