New to Traditional! In need of a few tips

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Jtmoney2002, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up a Fred Bear Kodiak Hunter 50#,I have been shooting older compounds with fingers for 8 years bowfishing with no sights and ive been hunting deer with compounds for 11 years. Im looking into what arrows to go with for whitetail and overall good setup, My Mathews i shoot Easton FMJ's 340's that are 11.3 gpi. I was hoping to shoot the same arrow but full length or about full length with feathers and 125 grain point but im not sure if this would be acceptable.

2. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My standard Axis arrows shot pretty well out of my Kodiak Hunter. Think mine is a 55lb? Will have to double check. The FMJs should be even better, i could not get my groups tight and assume it is because my arrows were far too light for my setup. Fletch up a couple FMJs with feathers and give em a try!

3. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You'll want to shoot around a 500 grain arrow. You might have to test a couple of different spines depending on your draw length. People usually lose 2" draw length when switching to trad.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

4. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I'll be a little above 500 grains with a 125 grain point,I've shot a few of the fmj's with vanes just to try them out and they seem to fly better than what I thought with the fletching contact , they should fly better with feathers. That string is rough on the fingers I'm going to have to get a finger tab ASAP . I'll have to have someone make a mark on a arrow for me to get a closer estimate of my draw on the recurve.

5. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tabs are so easy to make. All you need is some heavy leather. Goodwill, Salvation Army and thrift stores are good resources. Look for old baseball gloves, shoes, boots or purses. Cut out what you need. You can double thinner leather if needed.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps