Suggestions for setups

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by JakeD, Nov 23, 2013.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm wanting to give traditional archery another try with a recurve next year. What kind of recurve, arrows, and broadhead do some of you guys use? I would prefer to get something along the lines of possibly a bear kodiak #45 or #50 @28". Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with a Bear Kodiak. I've got wood, aluminum and carbon arrows, guess it's all in what you like. Lots of good broadheads out there, suggest a good cut-on-contact type head as the best choice.

3. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot my friends 50# super kodiak, and it's the smoothest recurve I've shot. Fwiw, I shoot a samick sage and a Wes Martin droptine TD recurve I bought on ebay for 150$. They both shoot well, but I like the draw of the droptine better, the sage is a pretty even pull, but it doesn't really stack at t he back wall like the droptine, or the kodiak.

There is something magical about shooting a deer with traditional tackle and instinctive aiming not quite present with sights and cams...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  4. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just made the plugs into traditional archery myself. Bought a IA seneca off eBay for 60 bucks ( I know it's risky buying before shooting, but I guess I got lucky because it came in perfect condition) it's 62" and pulls 45# at 28". For now I bought some cheap full length carbons from Wally World ( figured I'd wait to buy better arrows because I'm just starting out and I'll probably end up losing them) This set up should decided whether I wanna give traditional archery a go, so far I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was my first setup! I recommend starting off on the light side 45# would be fine.