Newbie arrow question?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by cgersty, Nov 18, 2013.

1. cgersty

cgersty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a vintage Fred Bear Kodiak recurve bow, its 48lbs at 28", I draw about 30" on it, I am wanting to get some advice on some arrows for this, I think I have decided to go with carbon, my question is what spine should I start out with? what point weights? inserts? I would like to hunt with this set up hopefully next year, just need an idea where to start. Any tips or advice will be more than helpful, been shooting compound so recurve set up and shooting is totally blind and a completely different language to me.

Thanks
    Chris

2. RJnSC

RJnSC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recommend going to 3Rivers Archery website and getting a test pack of whatever carbons they offer test shafts in you like. You get like 3 different spines in the pack. Find the one that you get to shoot the best then order a dozen of that spine!!

3. RJnSC

RJnSC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There are a ton of variables to consider when choosing spines (like point weight/ total arrow weight) but those test pack are the way to go in my opinion. Will save you a lot of money!!

4. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Based on the information you provided.. I would suggest 35/55 Goldtips. The only draw-back might be length, the 35/55 Goldtips are 30.5 inches long full length. Knowing the exact length of the arrow you need would be important for these arrows but I think they would work very well.

5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: