Help!! Im a new guy to the tradtional side!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by mitch310, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mitch310

mitch310 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I need help!! I have been shooting since I was about 12 and love every second of archery so I wanted to try the real deal where archery all began. My neighbors dad gave me bear grizzly. I went and threw a string on it and have just been playing around in the basement and backyard with it. However, I am lookin to buyin some little things just to practice. I believe its a 50lb bow with 28 in draw im guessin. What kind of arrows could I buy for cheap? I know you get what you pay for but the way I look at it im gonna junk a lot of arrows as I learn the ways so how can I do arrows and fletching for cheap?

thanks a lot!!!

2. shuwb

shuwb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Congratulations on your new journey. As far as cheap arrows, I'm not sure. But I do make and sell bamboo arrows. They are not nearly as expensive as carbon and are comparable to wood in price. The bamboo are as tough as carbon though. Bamboo shoots like darts! I sell a dozen all made up bamboo arrows for $85, plus shipping. Half that for 6. Let me know if you ever want to try some out. email is [email protected]

Thanks, and good shooting!

Shuwb

3. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of straightness factor and weight do you get out of those arrows? This is intriguing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. target_recurve

target_recurve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would buy aluminum arrows. If they bend, you can bend them back, and the shoot very nicely. I would get one with feathers or pigeon feathers if possible.

5. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL...Bamboo is not like any other material. I have shot bamboo arrows that looked like they were all twisted. They shot as well as any carbon, aluminum or wood arrow I ever shot. With bamboo straightness isn't the issue, shootability is what counts.
    shuwb might elaborate as I have never made bamboo shafts.

I would concur that aluminum would be your best bet. I do have to tell you a 50 lb recurve is way too much to begin with. It will cause you to develop form problems and that is very hard to correct. The bow is an excellent bow to shoot and I've had 2 of them. They are a tried and true workhorse of a bow. That's why they're so common. Also a recurve doesn't have a draw length. It can be over or under drawn. It will increase in weight approximately 3 pounds for every inch over 28", that's called stacking, reverse for under drawn. The 28" AMO is what the bow weighs at 28".

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. bestfriend

bestfriend Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My standard Axis arrows shot pretty well out of my Kodiak Hunter. Think mine is a 55lb? Will have to double check. The FMJs should be even better, i could not get my groups tight and assume it is because my arrows were far too light for my setup. Fletch up a couple FMJs with feathers and give em a try!

7. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to the
    easton shaft selector, or 3rivers
    to get an idea of your spine. Easton xx75 are great arrows to learn on, and the powerflights are an affordable option, and rugged. you're going to want them feather fletched if youre shooting off the shelf or a fur rest. I started at 40 and worked up to 53, but I shoot a 70# compound. That's a great bow, good luck!
    Oh, a simple sight, like eagle eye from 3rivers, will help improve your confidence a lot before going to instinctive or gap shooting. Purists will frown on it though, so use it like training wheels!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  8. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I felt I should add that wood arrows are really great, it just feels right to shoot a natural arrow out of a traditional bow, but, if you're just starting you might get frustrated after breaking a half dozen in a few days.

9. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They usually last me quite awhile but we don't have rocks in our soil to hit and I have a pretty nice backstop for when the ground is frozen. So unless a tree jumps out in front of me and as long as I keep them sealed, I've has pretty good luck with them.

It's always been a pre-hunt tradition to make a new half-dozen new hunting arrows. Mount the broad heads, get them tuned in and shooting their best. Of course, then the process of sharpening each broad head, shaving hair off my arm. It's a ritual that's done every year.