What got you into trad ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by FOXFIRE, Sep 17, 2013.

1. FOXFIRE

FOXFIRE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wunder'n what got everyone to shoot a trad bow ??

Me...back in the late 80s 3d shoots was the new thing to do & everyone was shoot'n short arrows form an overdraw set up, always a new something to "gairontee to make you shoot better" that you just had to have (kind if like now days) & it turned into a money pit & hassle , forever something rattling/buzzing, constantly out of tune, bows were heavy to drag around & noisy, just wasnt fun any more.

Stopped in a pawn shop one day & found Browning recurve on the wall & asked if I could take it for a test drive, as soon as it was in my hands I new something had clicked, it was light weight, only had one string, NO wheels, no over draw, no sights, was quiet & nothing to hassle with.

I paid the man $100 for it & walked out, took some time to learn it but man was it fun to play with, it could do everything the compound could do but was just slower at it, less was more.

And you ???

2. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting for four years now and started with a hand me down compound. While watching a big name hunting video one day I noticed in the special features that there was a Fred Bear hunt. At the time I didn't know who that was so I hit play. It was Fred Bears Badlands Bucks movie, I was immediately sucked in. I watched that same hunt 100's over. A few months later I bought a new bear grizzly recurve, gold tip traditional arrow, and all the trimmings. I practiced all summer and made my first traditional kill that fall! I love the simplicity, the discipline, and the lifestyle/mindset that go along with it.

3. JimPic

JimPic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They didn't have compounds when I started shooting bows

4. sticknstring33

sticknstring33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting trad for 3 years now and absolutely love it. Always wanted to try it. Finally did, and wondered why I didn't try it earlier. Enthralled by the simplicity and enjoyment it has created. Took my 1st buck w/ the curve last season and it stirred as much excitement as the biggest buck I took w/ the compound.

5. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't any compounds when I started either.

woodsman

6. FOXFIRE

FOXFIRE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HA !! didnt have copmounds back then, not to be disrespectfull but thats just hilarius, glad ya'll posted up.

Been hot & heavy with my copound this seson & its turn'n into a money pit , so far have spent at least $200 & still need broadheads, that couldve been half the cash for a nice new recurve or paid a good used one anyway, my little grizzly is proving its worth...again.

7. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I remember the first compound I ever saw.. Mr. Allen called Missouri home and a couple local guys made the trip down south to purchase one.

Darnedest contraption I ever saw.. ; )

woodsman

8. cgersty

cgersty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I inherited a fred bear kodiak recurve from my late father in law, never got to meet him as he passed when my wife was only 6 and I didn't know her then, her mom found it and knew I bow hunted so she gave it to me, I absolutely love shooting that bow and I get that feeling everytime I draw it back that he is helping guide the arrows off of it, I have been shooting it like crazy trying to get proficient enough to hunt with it.

9. FOXFIRE

FOXFIRE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get the Masters Of The Bare Bow DVD(s), volume 1 has plenty of how to info to get you shoot'n skills up to par, also have lots of other good info from sevral of the biggest names in the trad field now days, really good dvd.

10. trkytrack2

trkytrack2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There wasn't any compounds back in 1958 when I started bowhunting. There still aren't any in my home today either.

11. cgersty

cgersty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will look into it, Thanks for the heads up, I really enjoy shooting this recurve, and continue to practice with it so I can eventually hunt with it.

Thanks again

12. FOXFIRE

FOXFIRE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah man...stay after it, accuracy comes with good form & lots of practice, just takes time but when it starts come'n together your sure nuff gonna be hooked.

have fun & let us know how it goes.

13. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bow hunting has been the love of my life since i can ever remember. Started shooting a compound around the age of 5 and was infatuated with archery ever since. As I got older and extremely proficient with the compound it took the fun out of it for me. I was at a bow club and saw a bunch of trad guys shooting and it got me hooked. I loved the idea of taking bow hunting back to its origins and increasing the challenge id lost with the compound. This is my first year hunting with a trad bow and I know my first kill will be the most memorable and greatest accomplishment of my hunting career. Cant wait to put one down!

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up shooting recurves and longbows at the age of 3 years old. My dad has been shooting one now for 35 years or so. I started out with a compound and shot one for 9 or so years and got some kills under my belt. Going on 17 years this year I've been hunting with a recurve. Haven't owned a compound in 17 years. I wish everyone would try hunting with a traditional bow at one time or another. They would be really shocked at what it takes to be consistent in killing something. Most (not all) have no clue what so ever. So much more is put on the hunter then the weapon when it comes to killing something. So much more!!

So for me it's more about the journey.

15. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Schultzy.. where you been hiding?? Doing any bowhunting yet??

woodsman

16. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been laying a little low.

My 2013 Minnesota Bear. I broke in the new recurve (Schafer Silvertip).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I suppose this means you're going to keep it.. now that you've got it broke in.. My buddy had a Schafer "Ghost" back some years ago and it was an excellant shooting bow. Nice bear!!

Haven't done any hunting yet.. Hemmoragic disease disease took 50-70% of our deer herd last year, closer to the river the worse it was.. Will start doing some hunting soon.

woodsman

18. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A good friend makes longbows so I tried it and love it. You haver to shoot year round to keep the muscles in tune and I'm in bad shape so do hunt with it. It's my goal for next year.

19. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bear 'Black Bear' 45lb of my Dad's was what I learned with and first deer hunted with(before rifle even)...also have a Bear 'Kodiak' 45lb. I haven't hunted with the recurves for quite a few years, though I do shoot them occasionally - just can't seem to put the time into practice to rightfully carry them afield anymore. I was hoping to this season, but a house and family take up a lot of time...one of these years it'll happen.

20. GuyGene

GuyGene Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They didn't make compounds when I started hunting either. I remember when they came out, and have always thought they are about the ugliest thing to take in the woods. I had a fiberglass 30# bow I used for bow fishing (never killed a carp, but shot at a few), and I just got a Bobby Lofton made long bow! I just love the simplicity of a traditional bow. Now, to practice!