Matr138920 is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a little help

My father is letting me borrow some of his older bows and I was wondering about the specs on some of them if anyone knows

first one is a Ben Pearson Gamester 7388 @45lbs and was wondering the length of string and number of strands.

second one is a Stemmler model: 823 @ 40lbs and was wondering length of string and number of strands.

Thirdly I was considering building a string jig to try to build my own strings and was wondering if anyone has done that here and if they could describe how to build one, with specific directions.

thanks everyone.

Coop is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been building my own flemish twist strings for years. It's pretty easy and a lot of fun.

How to measure your bow. The string will be ~4" shorter if it's a recurve:

http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/stringlength.php

Good link for a how to on flemish twist string making and also with a chart for number of strands:

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/fea...ishstring.html
    Last edited by Coop; 12-11-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Mike - 2013 Bowtech Experience 70#@28.5"
    "I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparation, the excitement,and sustained suspense of trying to match my woods lore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures. " - Fred Bear

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks i appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like
    Also I know that they sell glue on finger style rests, but is it traditional to shoot with those or to shoot off of the shelf on the handle riser?

Coop is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both. I have some bows I shoot off the shelf some I use stick on rests. If you use a stick on rest you will get better flight if you want to use vanes. Vanes don't seem to work great shooting off the shelf.
    Mike - 2013 Bowtech Experience 70#@28.5"
    "I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparation, the excitement,and sustained suspense of trying to match my woods lore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures. " - Fred Bear