G-Street is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like

Having some trouble shooting.

So, I got an older Browning Safari II. It's 60" and 45lb. I've been shooting quite a bit lately and used to shoot traditional all the time when I was young and was very good. Anyway, for some reason now I'm having a problem with my shots ALWAYS going to the right and a lot of times high. I thought it was because I was throwing my hand out when I released, but I've mostly corrected that and I'm still having the same problems. This bow is significantly heavier than my old bow (it was only 18" but was a good starter bow) so it's like learning all over again. What should I do?
    2011 G5 Heat by Quest: Nap Apache drop away, G5 Optic Rocks 6 pin, Bemin ICS 400's and...... Feathers only!

Happy Hunting!

Coop is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you trying to shoot instinctive or gap?
    - Mike - 2013 Bowtech Assassin 62#@28.5"
    "I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparation, the excitement,and sustained suspense of trying to match my woods lore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures. " - Fred Bear

Post Thanks / Like
    Instinctive. I don't even know what gap is. I've watched a couple videos on Youtube about the form of it but all I'm really getting is 1, use the same anchor all the time and 2, don't throw your arm after the shot. I'm doing both of those things correctly and not getting the results I desire. Any ideas?
    2011 G5 Heat by Quest: Nap Apache drop away, G5 Optic Rocks 6 pin, Bemin ICS 400's and...... Feathers only!

Happy Hunting!

woodsman is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    tough to say without seeing you shoot. shooting high isn't uncommon, especially at the closer distances. "sometimes" that can be adjusted by changing your anchor point to a higher spot. Shooting right could be a number of things from arrow spine to arrow rest to form issues to a shooting glove with a hard grove in the fingers to anchor location.

best advise is to find someone local who knows traditional equipment and how to shoot it..

woodsman

Schultzy is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me like a spine Issue.

JimPic is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Sounds to me like a spine Issue.
    My thoughts too. What arrow are you shooting? Assuming you're arrows are spined correctly, you might be torquing the bow. You could be gripping the bow too tight being that it's "signifcantly heavier" and torquing at release

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not torquing I know, I've been gripping it the same I do my compound and I'm an excellent shot with my compound. Anyway, I'm shooting Bemin ICS Bowhunter 400's with 4" feathers and 100grain tips. They're not going to be my hunting set up. I've bought some Gold Tip traditional 7595's for hunting since I obviously need something heavier if I were to ever go hunting.

Happy Hunting!