Recurves v.s compounds - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Radia, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Radia

Radia Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just wanted to get a general consensus opinion here. About a saying that has
    stirred up debate locally, when it comes up...Most people in bowhunting have heard this saying
    "When you have to pull the trigger, is it really still bowhunting"?
    You can imagine that one would spark debate...

I just got back into recurve shooting. And, I also shoot compound.
    I shoot both with fingers, and always have, all my life.
    I feel that, even with compounds, shooting with fingers, still justifies the sport of bowhunting enough
    to still keep bowhunting in the "traditional" realm.
    i'm interested to see what kind of opinions are generated, all opinions welcome and appreciated!

2. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would disagree. Compounds have a letoff, even if it may only be 65%. That is a huge difference in my opinion. If you had a compound with no letoff then maybe, but, if there is no letoff why not just shoot a recurve or longbow?

3. watergun

watergun Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Recurves

I have used recurve bows for 60 years. Fred Bear was my hero.

4. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    they are both bowhunting, old school and new school, old school is way harder and requires alot more skill !

5. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO there is nothing traditional about compound bows today...just like electronic ignition is nothing in the way of traditional long guns. It doesn't make any difference if you use a release or not. Shooting a stickbow takes way more practice to be proficient. I haven't shot a bow in 2 months now and I could pick up either of my compounds and stick 4 of 5 shots in 3 inches at 30 yards right now....If I try the same thing with my recurves I probably wouldn't get 1 out of 20 in that spot.

6. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    one has training wheels and the other doesn't

7. round cam

round cam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love shooting my old recurve. Got it before I could draw 45# back. I take it out to shoot for fun.

But I'd be more likely to injure a deer than clean kill with it. Great kudos go to anyone that do it that way:hail:

8. Palma

Palma Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've only ever heard that said, relating to crossbows, and the speaker telling of his disdain for them. As for me I like them all.:)

9. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

This pretty much sums it up for me! I have no problem with what people hunt with...just hunt!

10. Bruinbow

Bruinbow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't mater don't mix

It doesn't mater what you shoot , how you shoot or when . We all can enjoy how we do things and can learn from others . Don't force opinions on others and don't be to quick to balk at something new . I shoot traditional recurve because I have to much technology in my life and it is a good release for me . I don't shoot a long bow only because the recoil causes my elbow to hurt but I am envious of those that can shoot them . The only opinion I have about compounds is they do a very good job and are much easier to shoot , but don't get the two worlds mixed up . It is like comparing a trap shooter to a bench rest shooter . Both are right but two different worlds .

11. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have respect for all forms of hunting. Each has its pros and cons. I don't really believe one to be easier than another. As far as compounds and recurves they are completely different. 2 totally different bows. Drawing a compound with a release is more about precision and accuracy than anything. Any hunter who says having the advantage of precision and accuracy is a bad thing should take their sights of their recurves or rifles. Instinctive shooting is awesome. I am an ok shoot from the hip with a rifle but never tried it with a bow. Always wanted to try it though. Recurves appeal to me mostly because of their nostalgic factor. Watching Fred Bear draw his bow back and almost instantly release it has always made me wanna shoot a recurve.

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion there's nothing traditional about the compounds of today. I'm not knocking compounds either, there just not meant to be traditional. I've never been one who Is the fan of the release. I just can't comprehend using a trigger to shoot a bow. Trigger and bow just don't go Into the same sentence for me. This Is just me though. No knock on others In the least.

17 years ago I sold my compound and went with a recurve. Been hunting with the same recurve now for 17 years. I ordered a new recurve back In late April as my recurve of 17 years Is wearing out. Through out the summer my tendinitis In my elbow has really started acting up. It's effecting me allot on how I do things physically. It's pretty sad to me, I have a feeling my recurve days are very limited. If I would've known things were going to get worse there's a chance I wouldn't have ordered my new recurve which Is suppose to be here anytime now. When I go back to a compound I'll buy myself a new one. Something with length. None of these kid looking compounds. ;) I'll go with the same let off I had 18 years ago (65%). It will be shot with fingers like I did before. There will never be a range finder In my pockets either. No knock on others who use one but It takes the bow hunt out of It for me. To me part of the hunt Is learning and getting good at judging yardages. It takes practice like anything but anyone can do It. I want to be the reason I kill something, not a gadget. What I'm most excited about when I make the switch back Is building a mack like truck arrow. With the speed of the compounds today I'm going to knock these animals on their *** with a 600 to 700 some grain arrow.

With my compound set up there will be nothing traditional about It In the least other then the fact It will be shot with my fingers which still doesn't make It traditional In my opinion.

13. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You won't be able to find a bow with 65% let off. ^^^ My problem is I simply don't have time to put into shooting a recurve well enough to feel good about shooting a live creature.

14. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love the idea of shooting a traditional bow and hope to learn some day but right now I see my Hardened Trad buddy's loose a lot of game with theirs:( so I'm sticking with the training wheels.

15. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Sure you can. Their all over. Just bought a brand new PSE Deerhunter for the g/f. 65% let off.

16. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I look forward to and someday will get into shooting recurves. But I'm new to bowhunting and started with the compounds so that's def what I'll be shooting and hunting with for awhile. I may pick up a recurve to start target shooting and practice with soon though. :)

To me it seems that its all different stages of technology. Recurves are more advanced than longbows and compounds are leaps and bounds more advanced than both of those. Some day they'll be considering compounds "traditional " hunting. :)

17. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Not true In the least. Just a different style of bow.

18. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Schultzy... Good to hear from you buddy.. Any chance getting that new bow in a lesser poundage?? A guy doesn't need near the poundage to get the job done.

My buddy just came back from alaska.. 56# recurve, complete pass thru, in the ground beyond, on a caribou and a moose. Moose only went 35 yards..

Have had some issues myself, nearly 50 yrs hunting with a bow and a few body parts are staring to complain. Thought I was done, removed the quiver from my bow and all the pain went away. Either way, you got valuable knowledge and know how to get it done...

woodsman

19. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear from you to bud! I might try getting some lighter limbs If I can't hack the 60lbs. If that don't work I guess I'll have to get myself some training wheels then. ;)

Good luck hunting this year woodsman!! Hope It's a safe and successful one for ya.

20. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This could be true, just nothing I was considering was 65 percent. Any high performance compound from any big manufacturer will probably be 80 percent, it's just industry standard. Not that there's anything wrong with 65, I've just never understood why some guys won't accept new things. My g/f's dad is this way, he constantly mocks my bow even though I shoot faster and more accurately than he does. To each their own but I think hunting with a bow is hard enough, I need all the help I can get!