Arrow suggestions?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by NEW61375, Dec 5, 2011.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First let me say this is slightly off the traditional topic. While I do hunt with and shoot my recurve quite a bit this question leans towards my compound. But since traditional guys are usually the experts on heavier arrows and broadheads I was hoping for some suggestions from you guys. I have never been a speed arrow guy and the fastest arrow "craze" never really bit me in fact I feel quite the opposite. During this off season I am going to attempt to approach my compound arrow/broadhead combo much differently. I shoot a Mathews Q2xl at 65# with 29(can go longer of course) inch arrows. What I am wanting to do is shoot the heaviest arrow and broadhead combo that is reasonable off of this bow. Simply put I want a tough heavy arrow with a big cut on contact broadhead....basically a miniature spear would be nice. Just trying to get away from light arrows and broadheads. My bow is very quiet and I can afford to lose a bit of speed, I'm currently shooting GT 5575 and 100gr Griz Tricks and about 285+/- fps. I haven't taken a shot at a deer with my bow ever over 30 yards and the vast majority I have taken have been 20 yards or closer so I'm not too worried about "downrange" killing.

I know it's kind of random but any suggestions on arrows or broadheads would be appreciated.

2. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently shooting a 530 grain arrow with 19% FOC out of my compound. I can change that to a 605 grain arrow with 23% FOC if I wanted to and have hunted with that config in previous seasons.

It is a .300 spine arrow, 30 inches long with/without a 100 grain brass insert and a 200 (no brass) or 125 (brass) BH.

I would recommend a Victory vforce300 (.300 spine). They are 9.9 grains per inch. I would also recommend getting the brass inserts and then you can use them in a couple/few arrows and leave other arrows with regular inserts. That way you can use multiple types of BH's (200 and 125 grains), if that is your inclination.

I would tune my setup for the lightest BH/arrow combo and that way, if you go to a heaveir BH all you need to do is turn your DW down to get it in tune. That can be done fairly quickly, a few shots, and then you are ready to go with the different setup.

You can also add a 200 grain BH to the arrow with the 100 grain brass insert and really get a heavy, high FOC arrow and that tunes easily just by dropping DW.

I have found that arrow setup to be extremely versatile when shooting heavy to heaviest combinations.

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was a compound shooter I'd be shooting an arrow In that 600 to 650 grain range. If I was pulling 60lbs I'd go with a 340 FMJ most likely, maybe even a 300. I'd throw a 100 grain brass Insert on the end of that arrow with a 1 1/2 cutting diameter 3 blade Snuffer. The 3 blade Snuffer comes with or without adapters. The heaviest screw In's they sell are 185 grains. The heaviest glue In's (without adapters) are 160 grains. You could use steel or aluminum adapters short or long. Steel adapters are heavier. Depending on how heavy you want your arrow and what FOC you want you've got many choices to choose from.

I'm not going off of any chart here but Instead going off of experiences I've had with my recurve which Is 58lbs. Here's some possibilities to look at.

300 FMJ- A 30 Inch arrow weighing 348 grains. Add a 100 grain brass Insert and your up to 448 grains. Add a 160 grain glue on Snuffer and your at 608 grains. Add a 42 grain aluminum adapter and your at 650 grains total.

340 FMJ- A 29 Inch arrow weighing 328 grains. Add a 100 grain brass Insert and your at 428 grains. Add a 185 grain 3 Blade Screw In Snuffer and your at 613 grains.

I'm not saying these arrow lengths would work but Instead giving you Idea's on possible weights you could have If they were to work for you. I know you could shoot either spine arrow (300 or 340). Just depends on what you want for weight and length with your arrows.

4. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a lot guys, I'm excited about making these changes and hopefully getting a little more rugged arrow out of the deal.

5. arham

arham Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'm from Missouri. I haven't got to hunt too much with traditional equipment. Still intimidates me a little too much. I shoot a longbow for fun and plan on hitting the woods with it this year. Any tips?