wreckless448's 2014 Season Thread

Discussion in 'West' started by bowhunter448, Jan 25, 2014.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We loaded up the Rhino last night and took off this morning to the only other spot that we had scouted this fall. We decided that today, being our last day out together this season, would be about having a good time and enjoying the ride more than it would be about tagging out. We took off racing around after rigging the Rhino to hold the bows. About 45 minutes in, we jumped a coyote. I jumped out and grabbed my bow. The coyote took off and we never got closer than the initial 125 yards. We found a nice little canyon road that no one had traveled, so we went up it. Once we got out of road, we hiked straight up the mountain. On the way up, Marshall noticed a lone buck, so we sat down and watched it disappear. Once he was out of sight, we continued up the mountain and over the saddle.

We nocked up, on Marshall's gut feeling and crested the saddle. We noticed a deer go behind some brush and then by a tree, but kept walking. A little bit further down, I noticed him in the trees and we began to slide down the mountain. No snow on this so it made it easy.

I got to about 50 yards off the deer, 25 yards from where I thought he would run if Marshall missed. Marshall got to 20 yards before shooting. Double lung hit. The deer ran about 50 yards before dying. View attachment 54933 Here's Marshall's hero shot. View attachment 54934 .

Got him quartered out and headed out. I did find this nice shed View attachment 54935 . We did go back up to where I had my overshot and tried to see what we could. I got on another little buck, quickly lost him in the brush, and then on the road back to the truck, we jumped the 2x2 that Marshall had jumped opening morning.

I have tomorrow left in the season, and I doubt that I'll get out. Here is my http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/68242-2014-season-review.html#post1038644

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to Marshall! That's fantastic:tu:

If thing's happen to change, and you go out... good luck :evilgrin:

3. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got to go out for a quick hunt. I emphasis quick because the only deer I saw, a tall 2x2 and a doe, quickly jumped over into private land this afternoon.