Wisconsin Shed Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by mitchp21, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Dampland

Dampland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stopped by my hunting grounds on Friday/Saturday. The snow is 24-30 inches deep (at minimum) everywhere. I tried walking out to one of my trail cameras, and gave up after 10 minutes. No sense in killing myself walking thru snow that is well over my knees.

I did see 30-40 deer all within a 200 yard x 200 yard area, they are hanging out right where we had loggers working in December and January. Really hoping some of those deer were bucks, as I did not see any antlers. Also hoping that the remnants from the logging helped the deer make it thru this brutal winter. As we drove to dinner on Friday night, we lost count at 65 deer, just standing in the local farmers yard, next to his stored hay bales. They were everywhere, even standing on top of the bales like goats. (his bales are stored right next to his barns where his cows and sheep are, and within 100 yards of his house.)

This farmer has a bad rap from locals because they accuse him of "killing all the deer", since he uses dozens crop damage tags each year. Based on all the deer I saw, there are still plenty left, and I can understand why he tries to take as many out each fall as he does.

Based on all the snow, I won't be out shedding hunting for at least another 3 weeks I'm guessing. The ATV's won't even make it thru the snow around here.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another 8 inches for cast tonight.

3. Scoutking07

Scoutking07 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got out walking for two hours tonight. No sheds but a nice dead head. LOVE this warm weather and declining snow[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. gauge

gauge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think this is it for the year. Off to Minnesota in the morning to watch the world shed hunting championships! [​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk