Wisconsin deer hunt 2014-Big changes are here.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PSEREVENGEMAN, Sep 20, 2013.

1. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No I understand what's going on. When bowhunting Wisconsin let's say the hunter fills his buck tag opening day of bow, most hunters won't hunt anymore or vary little unless they are meat hunters. Now put a chance at another buck tag on the plate the hunter will make more of an effort to get another buck tag then he would if it wasn't on the table. That follows the DNR herd reduction plan better then if they didn't give the tag.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0431.pdf Go to page 17 you have 3 days to register your deer now. They cannot make you register your deer in an hour, that is just wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Electronic registration is a good thing.

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like a mess. Personally, I liked going to register myy deer and turkeys. Sort of a tradition. It was nice to see what other hunters were getting while having a cold one with family and friends.

This step alone has the possibility to increase poaching on many levels.

Not good.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 2

4. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    You get it..you're wise beyond your years

5. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our system in Wisconsin as far as deer hunting goes is NOT broken. Leave it the F*** alone!

6. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People will always poach. I am sure there are people that don't drive to the check in station. I know your fears I had the same feeling when they did this in Illinois. I actually like things a little more private now.

7. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    It's way past broken ever since the CWD crap and the herd control crap, you need to have a law degree to understand the regulation book alone.

8. sbrandt300

sbrandt300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was the best part just seeing wat others got even if it was a half rack forker it still got ur blood pumping and then that half rack turns into a 140in 10 after a few more beers lol

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    [/QUOTE]

Negative. You must report your deer by 10 pm the day of the recovery either online or via telephone.

In regards to the bonus buck tags, are they unlimited? Or is there a cap on the # of bonus bucks one person can get? If the goal is to reduce the herd then rewarding people who shoot does with more buck tags is certainly the way to do it.

10. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the heads up I read the rules last month and I knew was a smaller window then what I used to.

[/QUOTE]

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Electronic registration is a great thing. Extremely easy and quick.

12. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The highways will be clean again. People picking up dead deer and registering them to get an extra buck tag.

13. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    party doe hunting with a bow will be rampant as will phantom doe kills with electronic registration. Now add the xgun crew next year. Party on Garth.

14. sbrandt300

Dislikes Received:
    a tube of super glue goes along way to fix those slit ears...never done that myself but just wat I heard

15. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Electronic registration is a good thing. If for some reason you couldn't meet the deadline due to cell reception, gasp, tell a little white lie and say it was the next day. I am not advocating hunting out of season of course, but just saying, c'mon. Do you think the CO is going to come after you because you registered it one day late due to reasons beyond your control? Or better yet, call the CO and tell them your problem. Chances are, though, they'd tell you to do what I suggested!

Also, in regards to all this poaching talk, MOST people are not going to go through the trouble of buying and pretending to punch two doe tags to get their extra buck tag. They will just do what they do now, have their wife, sister, mother, MIL, aunt, whomever, buy a buck tag and use that. It's commonplace around here during gun season. You get one deer total for all seasons so all of a sudden, grandma decides to fill her buck tag this year too. People do that regardless of how you register. P.S. I don't do that, nor do I believe it's right but most people around here think of it on the same level of speeding.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  16. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Illinois' rule that you have to report a deer by 10pm has had me reporting the deer the next day on two different occasions. :( Once because I had neither phone nor internet until I drove to town the next day and the other time because the recovery was late, my phone died and it was an hour and half drive home. (of course, if a CPO is reading this... I'm uh... kidding! Yeah... kidding!)

However, previous IL law was that you had to find and get to an open check station by 10pm. So the electronic system is actually better overall.

The downside of it is when it's used in earn-a-buck areas. A lot of fictitious does get called in so guys can go right to buck hunting. A great example of that was when the property next to the park I hunted quit requiring hunters to bring their doe in to get checked. The park manager mentioned that the guys on the state ground were having a great year on does.... better than any past years. LOL. It hadn't occurred to him that those were imaginary does making up the sudden increase in harvest. In the end it doesn't much matter tho'. The guys who can't kill a real doe often can't kill many real bucks either.

17. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Archery "party hunting" has always been illegal. Gun "party" hunting has been abused for decades. Now lets throw in a universal xgun that anyone in the house can use and be proficient at inside of 10 minutes vs. a very custom fit vertical bow? Chaos.

18. sbrandt300

Dislikes Received:
    I see a lot of post on here talking about the electronic system but guys that's not the big problem here. The big concern should be the bonus buck. Damn DNR wants all the deer dead. they mise well just have an year round season for deer like coyotes.

19. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This one is for Vito:

[​IMG]

20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think this fits.

A lot of worrying about nothing, the electronic system is gonna do little to change the people who already don't use the chech in stations. Will some abuse it yea, but those same people are probably the ones who already go out and shoot more than one deer a tag and just don't take them to these stations. As far as the bonus buck tag again I'm sure there's people that already kill more bucks then they are allowed using another persons tags that don't even hunt.