Why do we try to make killing a deer "harder"?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by atlasman, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What? Because you don't agree with it. There's injured or lost deer no matter what the weapon is. If somebody is gonna take the time to be proficient with their weapon of choice I don't care what they use. It's better then just telling them to only take something you say is more lethal and only shooting it once a year at a deer.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He's not looking to be convinced, he's convinced himself already.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know, I'm bored though

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Huh???? So you are saying someone someone proficient with a recurve should use a compound or rifle if legal??? Then you talk about limiting others...what does your statement do?

Come on, Atlas....you sound like someone that is justifying what they want to hunt with....

5. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I finally get the point of all this eloquent thought process and writing.

You are pissed because YOUR neighbor wounded two of YOUR bucks and now YOU won't be able to dispatch them cleanly and quickly with YOUR superior hunting equipment.

Self absorbed over indulged ego rising like the cream to the top of churn.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  6. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

There is almost a universal reason why some people find the truth unreasonable.

7. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    You're hung up on perfectly placed shots. I'll bet anyone on the planet as much money as they want to lose that I will be more accurate and my round will cause more damage and have more knockdown power then a recurve at 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards.

No, but from a purely objective stand point to maximize deer hunting success rates and harvest it makes the most sense.

Are you saying we "need" archery seasons?? I'm glad we have them for variety but they are poor deer management tools when all options are considered.

8. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

There are air rifles out there pushing a .25 cal projectile over 1000 fps. I assure you that could kill a deer.

9. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can I have the last 30 minutes of my life back???? This post got stupid...sorry i ever tried to reason with this nonsense....

10. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

No. You need smarter people who actually care about your deer herd making your laws. NY used the cowards excuse that rifles would result in more accidents/deaths for hunters and civilians alike. Now we shoot rifles and have the safest seasons we've ever enjoyed. It's BS that some moron made up and theses clowns just keep perpetuating the mistake.

That's why I enjoy talking with you :)

I think it's a disservice to all involved (mostly the game) when someone CHOOSES to be proficient with inferior equipment when better options are available. How many times do guys get blasted here for shooting 2" mechanicals out of grossly underpowered bows?

LOL........you don't want pointers from me on shooting a recurve. Besides, you could be the best shot in the world but you're still likely to have problems. It's like digging a ditch with a spoon. Can it be done? Sure, but I'll take a backhoe thanks ;)

11. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Hyperbole

12. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

No one is making that claim so not sure where you got it from. Try reading the thread and you'll see.

13. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

The same reason your threads about shooting pregnant does in the summer are here. Neither is hunting related but it's an open forum, no one is forcing you to read or participate ;)

You are not a proponent of guns?? I'd keep that opinion to yourself on a hunting site LOL

14. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

You're missing the whole point of the thread........did you even read it??

If your ceiling for "proficiency" is low to begin with because of stupid arbitrary rules or self imposed limits then it's a problem.

15. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

That's not what I'm saying. I really don't feel like typing it again though. Happy to discuss it with you bro (as always) though.

16. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

LOL........not even close. He is a great guy, I feel bad for him for missing out on two good bucks. I would love to see him score as he has helped us track and drag deer we have killed. They are not OUR bucks and frankly there are more then enough to go around.

17. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    There is no point ....except to say that your way is the only way...you ought to run for congress in NY...youd fit right in. I CHOOSE to hunt how I hunt...I ask advice from time to time because everyone has a DIFFERENT way to do it...if it sounds reasonable and responsible I may adapt it...either way its my choice. If a state has laws that I dont agree with I either suck it up or I hunt in another state...but it just seems like you point is now to get as many posts as possible by being confrontational and nonsensical

18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

That's what happens when people don't read or comprehend and run off on random tangents. Happens here quite often unfortunately. The thread is very clearly written yet people run in "gun vs bow" defense mode like a reflex.

19. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

It's not MY way. Hunting deer with silly regulations like no optics or with inferior equipment do make yourself feel like you accomplished something "harder" is a fallacy that results it more wounded and lost deer.

We should be focused on maintaining and in fact improving the "fairness" of the PURSUIT of the animals. Once the game is over we should be as fiercely lethal as possible.

How do you think people would react if they found out animals in a slaughterhouse were not being killed as quickly and humanely as possible because the people doing it wanted more of a "challenge"??

Not very glamorous is it?

20. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    Brother...YOU turned it into not only "gun vs bow", but if we arent shooting a Chey-TAc .408 with LRF and auto sight ballistic computer than we arent doing OUR very best as consevationists and sportsman...and that we just make it harder for the challenge...its dumb ...and this thread is pointless now...If thats what you had planned ...well done...mission accomplished but this whole thing has transcended into pointless babble about your internal struggle to justify YOUR methods ....got it Bud...your the best!!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.