Where Do I Even Start?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by FroMan, Jan 18, 2020.

1. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been bowhunting for 20 years, but my experience is limited to hunting in Arkansas and Kansas. That translates pretty well moving eastward or in the midwest, but I'm not sure it translates across to hunting the part of Texas I'll be in. I've never hunted "out west" and I feel like the area terrain in the cross-timbers is more like that than the dense, heavily wooded forests I'm used to hunting.

This summer I'm moving to Fort Hood. I've turkey hunted parts of north-central Oklahoma that I think might resemble the vegetation, topography, and lay of the land that I'll see at Fort Hood, but that's about it. Eastern Texas resembles some parts of LA (Lower Arkansas) pine lands, but I'll be further west than that.

Google-scouting the area, it looks like a lot of post-oak and cedar, with grassy areas. No agriculture...some hills, but knobby--not much elevation change at all maybe 100 foot change from top to bottom. I'm used to big steep mountains in Arkansas and wooded draws (some of that is in Texas) with waterways. Most creeks on Hood look intermittent and more like dry ditches or wadis than creeks.

I also expect deer numbers to be lower in the area. But as for terrain, I'm not even sure where to start. I've always been a treestand hunter--I have climbers, hang-ons, ladder stands, saddles, even a ground blind. But those, require trees that they work in. Will that even work there?

BTW, I don't want any of your spots.

Tips or pointers on what to expect, how to hunt, or scout this area (from afar on a computer) are appreciated.

2. jarin matthews

jarin matthews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it was I would find transition spots or pinch points with them ditches and use them for my travel and hang a hang on in a cedar

FroMan likes this.