Whats the best Mathews bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BUCKMASTER88, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've only owned the Z7 Xtreme and now the Heli-M and I like them both for different reasons. I do like the compactness of the Xtreme, but it is a touch on the heavy side once it's outfitted with all the accessories. The Heli-M certainly is nice in the weight department and the back wall is rock solid thanks to the draw stop. Once I get mine set up and shooting I'll be able to give a more accurate report between the two.

Any way you go between the original Z7, the Xtreme or the Heli-m you really can't go wrong.

2. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I too am in the camp of feeling the Heli-M is too light. The Z7, IMO, is an outstanding bow from Matthews. My biggest gripe of late with Matthews is that almost all of their bows are sub 32" ATA. They must think we're all midgets or something.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have to disagree with the bow being too light. Once you outfit it with all the junk we put on our bows these days, it's plenty heavy enough to be stable, yet still 1/2 lb lighter than most bows. Yes, the bare bow is probably too light for some, but there aren't many guys out there shooting a bare compound. :D And after carrying my Xtreme through the mountains last fall I'll gladly take the lighter weight.

As for axle-to-axle, the Z7 Magnum is 32" and the Monster MR series bows are 33". :tu:

4. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to aesthetics, Quest Bows with the Standard Finishes

Solid Realtree AP

Custom GFade™ Finish Options G-Fade Realtree AP or the Matte Black,

Yet color doesn't make a bow, a bow. Quest Bows are tough shooting bows with the speed to make a deer lie down and wait for you. Matthews remind me of fickle Women changing their mind in mid-stride. Like what happen to the Reezen Bow. The way they start a new line of bows and change them out at years end should consider changing their logo too "Consistant when if we can".

So "Once you go Quest Bows you never go back.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The light vs heavy bow debate always comes up in regards to stability. No doubt everything being equal the heavy bow is more stable but how often is everything really equal? I would rather start with a bow on the lighter side, I can always add weight but I cant remove it....Heli-M get my vote.

6. Rabbit 57

Rabbit 57 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if your an advanced bow shooter that wants speed, then the :biggun:Monster MR6 or 7. I shoot Gold Tip Pro Hunter 7595 with 100 grain heads totaling 427gr. I tested a Z7 Magnum IBO 340 at 70lbs. And a Monster MR6 IBO 354. The GTP 7595 with Z7 Mag was 290fps. That's an increase from my Browning Illusion actual 260fps of 30fps. The MR6 with GTP7595 was 309fps. At an increase of 49fps, my choice was clear to buy the MR6 which I did:rock:. Sure it's a tougher bow to shoot with two eccentric cams. But that's where the speed comes in. If your not into speed and foot pounds, then try the SoloCams.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, if this is a hunting bow and you're not planning on trying to win IBO 3D shoots or speed records, then stay away from bows with a brace height of less than 7". You want a smooth/easy pulling bow with good speed to hunt with. Faster doesn't mean deader.

For me, the perfect specs are 33-34" ATA and 7" brace height with a smooth pulling cam design.

This is why I am still shooting my 07 Bowtech Allegiance.

33" ATA, 7" BH, 335 IBO and pulls as smoothly and easily as a bow with a much milder cam system.

My hunting setup is 28" draw length, 65lb with a 370gr arrow. The bow shoots a cool 285fps.

8. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    take a lood at the bowtech invation, or hoyt crx. both are very good bows.

9. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews IBO numbers unobtainable :wave:

10. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one that fits you best and the one you can shoot accurately. That's the best bow for you, not the one someone on here says is the best bow.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Mission Venture (it's by Mathews :D )

If I were to pick only a "Mathews" I'd have to say I love my dad's Switchback

12. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some will say the Switchback is Mathews best bow of all time. I've read that several times. Likely a reason they kept imitating it and changing the names as well as continuing it in the Mission line. In my friends new shop, they've sold a pile of bows over the several months they've been open and the BowTech Invasion as well as the Mission line is outselling all the Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Diamond and Elites they carry. (thus far) (I forget which Mission)

13. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree..

Right now, in the entire Mathews line up, the bow I would chose is the Z7 Magnum...

14. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know Justin Will think this is funny but I am sold on the New Bear Line up they are making a comeback and I have shot the carnage and the new helim and like the Carnage way better. My attack shoots better than the Helim.

But If I had to choose a Matthews bow it would be the Switchback best Bow they have made.

15. True

True Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought that the Mission Voyager looked alot like the original Switchback.... it has MOST of the same dimensions down to the 7" brace height....
    Are they the same bow? I would like to find one and shoot it for sure.

True

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  16. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted with the Switchback for 9 years. Awsome bow and I stacked plenty of dear and turkeys with it. I'll never get rid of it. I got the Z7 last year and I can say without a doubt it's an upgrade over my Switchback. Smooth as silk, quiet, and drives tacks. It's just a better bow period. Gospel, deal with it.

17. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a switchback xt. I am sure the new bows all shoot great ,but this is the best i have shot ..