What is your favorite part of it all?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunting that is. For me #1 is the scouting. I love scouting and finding that special place. I have been bowhunting for 27 years and easing through the woods scouting and finding "the spot"gets my adrenaline pumping. # 2, the blood trail. I have killed 59 whitetails with the bow and if they don't fall within sight I have an adrenaline rush the entire time I am trailing the deer. Almost to the point that you don't want it to end but yet you do... #3, finding my deer at the end of the blood trail is like finding gold at the end of a rainbow. #4, that feeling you get when you settle the pin just before the shot. And last #5, but not least, seeing that arrow hit exactly where it should and knowing it was the perfect placement even before you check your arrow....

2. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite part has gotta be enjoying the quiet, or that feeling you get when you see the first deer of the day coming by. I also just enjoy shooting my bow in the offseason. It's a good time to mentally unwind.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The scouting, strategy and making a plan for each hunt. I do not enjoy the killing aspect.

Rick James, T FERG, smctitan and 2 others like this.
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The scouting, checking trail cams, and the general anticipation of the rut! I love it all.

buckeye, I noticed that we joined this site exactly a day apart 9 years ago. :tu:

Frankiecruzer and axtell343 like this.
  5. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This

Attached Files:

6. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeh, I am with you on the killing...I mean I don't sit in the tree and come to tears after kill, but at home at night just before I fall to sleep my mind always goes to that place...." why? did he or she have to die?" "am I a sick individual for wanting to kill?" but just as I fall into rapid eye movement I come to the conclusion that it is just my instincts and there is no sin in that...

Rangerdan likes this.
  7. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Then this

Attached Files:

8. Ryguy3684

Ryguy3684 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The first sight of a deer and having it come in exactly where you thought it would. Picking up my kids to help track. They love helping me track deer.

Kfili likes this.
  9. Jeffrey J Eberhardt

Jeffrey J Eberhardt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can't just pick one thing about bow hunting that I like. Because I love every single thing about it.

Frankiecruzer likes this.
  10. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The moment one walks in and i have to slowly grab my bow then drawing back. Always gets my heart going

Cutting the deer up and grinding smoking sausage and stocks making burgers

axtell343 likes this.
  11. BowHood

BowHood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The adrenaline of being close. The months of preparation and honing in your skills. I also do feel bad for the animals I shoot kill, but I also know its in our instincts to hunt and kill. I always liked this bible scripture.

KJV Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

w33kender likes this.
  12. Hall77

Hall77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite part is seeing the deer you have only had pictures of walk out. And the whole chess match of it all trying to catch up with a big buck in the daylight and in range. Just the act of the hunt is awesome the quite time in the treestand.

w33kender likes this.
  13. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to pick just one aspect. One thing I absolutely love is that moment when you can hear footsteps and they are close. You know it is a deer for sure but you haven't laid eyes on it yet. The anticipation of what is about to step out gets my heart racing every time. It may just be a button buck, but the excitement is still the same.

I had that with the doe I shot this year. I could hear her coming once she stepped over the ditch about 40 yards away, but it took me a couple minutes before I finally laid eyes on her on 15 yards.

w33kender and axtell343 like this.
  14. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Watching deer, the thwack when the arrow hits a deer, laying my hands on horns!

MUDSHARK likes this.
  15. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Blood rushing excitement when you're about to pull that string and release an arrow. Followed by the after moments, playing it through your head, and taking up the track!

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Putting the tag on him. Reduced to possession.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me it's seeing the deer and having them come in close. I got more rushes last year than some seasons and I didn't even kill a deer. I had deer all over me during the rut. Then it's seeing the deer go down or following the blood trail and looking up to see the the deer on the ground. Then every time you see the antlers/mount on the wall you go back to the memory of that hunt.

snuff likes this.
  18. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    By far it's learning a new piece of land and selecting stand sites. Helped a young friend who was struggling, wasn't seeing deer, so I went with him several times this past winter...He was making a TON of mistakes with his stand site selections. I helped him understand what to look for, we cleared several good stand sites for him, and last week he bagged his first buck. It was very rewarding for me. Wish he hadn't kissed me though!

Moose, snuff and Vabowman like this.
  19. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  20. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting in general whether it's with a bow or rifle, or hunting deer or turkey. For me the best part is the moment you see that animal coming and the anticipation of all your hard work paying off. It makes every trip to check cameras, time spend scouting, hours of practice shooting, money spent on equipment all come together in one great and satisfying moment.

Unfortunately I'm still trying to have that satisfying moment this deer season. One week left to get it done.

Rangerdan likes this.