What is the creepiest thing you have ran into in the woods?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BowCommander, Jun 23, 2018.

1. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is the creepiest thing(s) you have ran into while hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. I've seen some pretty creepy stuff in the woods especially at night. Anyone have anything that just completely spooked you out?

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing I’d describe as creepy.

What have you seen?

3. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Walking to the stand at 4 am pitch black and all my headlamp shows me are two huge eyes about 8 foot off the ground, they disappeared and I walked towards where they were and I walked right to a tree, so I think it was a Racoon or something on the tree but they were the biggest eyes I have ever seen in the woods. I still think about those eyes every time I go for a morning sit.

Siman/OH likes this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No not at all

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not really spooky but a few creepy/awkward moments.

I walked up on guy in the woods (on a trail) who was, um, pleasuring himself. I stopped, slightly horrified, when I realized what he was doing but he noticed me before I could sneak off. The creepy part was that he then tried to make small talk and followed me until I managed to put distance between us by wading out into a lake. (I was checking traps) Creepy.

Another time I got back to my truck in the remote parking area of a public hunting area right at dark . It was just my truck there but three guys showed up and started talking to me. Big, strong looking dudes. I was up against the truck and they were facing me, asking questions like "Are you out here by yourself?" "Is someone going to meet up with you?"
    I was mentally strategizing in what order I should kill them to give me the best odds when they must have picked up on my uncomfortableness and backed off a bit. They then introduced themselves politely and we actually became good friends.... but it was touch and go for a moment. :D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Siman/OH and CToutdoorsman like this.
  6. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have run across a guy doing that too except it wasnt in the woods it was the side parking lot of Wal-Mart and as for the three dudes I would have been thinking the exact same thing!

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not hunting, but I was mountain biking though a forest preserve and came across a bike laying next to the creek bank. Blood on the seat. Dried blood. Nobody around. Me and my buddy searched around, didn't find anything or any tracks but you could tell the bike had been there a few days.

I called the forest preserve police. Took the officer to the spot, left her my number in case they had any more questions. Never got another call or heard anything more.

8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This didn't happen to me but to a friend of mine who was fishing a river that ran next to a local graveyard. Seems he was out there about midnight when he hears a slight splash in the water. Thinking something was going for his bait, he stood up just in time to see a guy coming out of the river. He said the guy walked out of the water and passed by him at about six feet. He said the guy never said a word and disappeared into the graveyard. Needless to say he was quite creeped out and immediately packed his stuff up and got the heck outta Dodge!

Blessings........Pastorjim

dnoodles likes this.
  9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not creepy, just different. I was on my way to one of my stand sites on Public land, when I see something that just doesn't belong. It's flesh colored. As I got closer I could hear a girl babbling in delight. Here, dude is running up in her! :biggrin: I said, excuse me, but I need to get past you folks (only trail in), so I can get to my hunting spot. Dude says, give us a minute. I do, and they get dressed and leave.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    WillO and CToutdoorsman like this.
  10. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing really sticks out for me. Coyotes howling at night where I need to be is kinda common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spalding likes this.
  11. BowCommander

Dislikes Received:
    Ah, I was expecting some crypto stories or something, but good stuff nonetheless.

As for myself I have seen creepy things in the woods; one thing in particular, but nobody would believe it anyway.

I remember hearing this story about a guy going hiking and taking pictures with a camera back in the 90s when you had to get film developed before you could see it. He said he took pictures of the mountains and spent the night in the woods and when he got the film developed he saw pictures of himself sleeping in the tent. I would have to say that one put chills down my back; especially the way he told it.

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  12. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Let’s here it

13. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll bite too, Let’s hear it

14. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG] stumbled upon this man made cave/hut made out of sand bags. It hadn’t been used in awhile but I’m pretty sure someone was hiding out in it at one point.

BowCommander likes this.
  15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad I got this on camera or no one would ever believe it. Without a doubt the creepiest thing I've ever seen in the woods.
    creepinhillary.png

16. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Please can I have permission to shovel hunt that?

(If your not familiar with shovel hunting it’s basically waiting for something show up then beating it to death with a shovel)

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, sure. After this pic got out, it started a local legend...The Legend at Rawnchysquatch. If you manage to shovel kill Rawnchysquatch...you'll definitely be a local hero. Hell you may be a national hero.

18. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is the legend true that rawnchysquatch breaks into kids bedroom and while they sleep whispers subliminal messages of gender nonconformity and fluidity into their ears?

ash d and CoveyMaster like this.
  19. BowCommander

Dislikes Received:
    That has got to be the most frightening image I believe I have ever witnessed. I'm glad you are alright after seeing such a terrifying beast. I heard it has magical powers to lie without even making a movement.

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    This made me bellylaugh!
    It is a legend but I believe it!