What I just witnessed.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NY Bowhunter, Nov 20, 2017.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a bean field and a patch of woods behind my house that other hunters lease. I was in my kitchen packing things up (moving) and I see 2 deer running across the field and over the hill. I stop and watch for a minute and a third doe comes out and stands there. I hear a shot and watch this thing mule kick, snow plow, fall down, get back up and take off over the hill. The thing is drilled.

About 2 minutes later two orange people come out from the woods and go to where the deer was shot in the field. They look around at the ground for a few minutes. Wave their hands in the air, turn around and head back to their truck and take off?

I'm 99.9% sure that deer is dead and probably not that far away. I have no idea who owns the land over that hill, but I think I'm going to see if I can get permission to see if I can find it so it doesn't just rot. The rest of the land is posted by them. I guess the deer wasn't laying in the field dead so they "gave up". Unreal.

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You're sure they aren't continuing the track in fear of jumping her/pushing her like so many of us preach while using our bows?

Ldsturg, Spear and ruteger like this.
  3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find a lot of deer in the Spring when I am shed hunting. I know a lot of them are due to this very reason. I have also watched gun groups do the exact same thing. A lot of times its because they feel pressure from the rest of the group to keep moving and get to the next push. If it isn't laying where it was shot, and there is not a foot wide trail of blood, it must have "gotten away". It's lazy at best.

Spear likes this.
  4. TN TJ

TN TJ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is just nuts, hopefully you can get permission to track it . The animal deserves someone to put forth the effort.

Spear likes this.
  5. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to hope so, but I'm sure that's not the case. The way it was hit, I'm surprised it made it out of the field. Couple inches of snow on the ground. Has to be good blood. I don't get it. They park at a little pull off one house down from me. Nobody has been back.

6. Hogs need lovin too

Hogs need lovin too Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interested to know if you get this deer. I find it very hard to believe they would give up already but it also wouldn't surprise me....

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, I hope you get the deer and get to harvest it.

8. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Totally irresponsible and one of the things that gives hunters a bad name. It seems we all get painted with the same brush.

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Any update on this? Did you see them come back to continue the track or did you go check it out?

10. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Saw them come back and head the opposite direction for their afternoon hunt. I did leave a note on the door of who I believe owns the land where the deer ran. Never heard from them.