Well I think next year

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by zachd, Apr 22, 2017.

1. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to have to hunt more than one state. Tagged out in Minnesota second day at 7am
    First day I could have shot a little one and had 3 bigger toms hang behind my blind if only I had the back window open.

I can see why a lot of turkey guys jump state to state
    This was my first turkey too

1.jpg 2.jpg

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bird. Turkeys are fun and nerve wracking.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the bird.

Blessings........Pastorjim

4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! I tagged out on my second day in Minnesota too! Would love to go to another state to hunt for them, but not sure how to go about it.

5. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Calling for others can show you how lucky you were to kill yours too...Not every hunt puts a bird on the ground

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

7. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually just did that the other day me and my uncle went out the other day
    Set up shop close to where I figured they were roosting as all the birds I saw came from the area.
    Had tons of gobbles in the morning. Finally a hen popped out cam straight to the decoys and was eating 3 yards away from us and then 2 other hens and two toms came out but the one tome and the hens hung up and the other tom stopped in the grass out of range.
    The hen that was by us went back to the tom with the other hens. One came within 40 yards but no closer.
    They looped around us to the right and went passed the dirt bike track uncle tried to put the sneak on them but he setup against a berm and they chose to take a left a little before him and go into the other neighbors.

I think if we had a strutting tom in the decoys the one would have came closer but who knows my uncle forgot it!
    He did look like he was heading our way but then a sand hill crane came down and was squawking at him and the tom went to him and strutted in front of the crane for 45 minutes

If we would of set up on the other side of the stubble we would of been in range!

dang its fun

8. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly gives new meaning to the phrase, "too much fun!"

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Turkey hunting is just fun. Hearing the birds gobble and seeing them strut is just awesome! Calling and getting an answer back just gets the blood pumping for me! Season limit for me is three birds and I can only get two deer tags, in which case I'm lucky to find one shooter buck a year. It's just a different challenge and tests different abilities of the hunter. For deer it's scent control and for turkey's it's masking your movements. Turkey see so well you'll get picked off in a blind if you're not careful.

I don't know how someone could love deer hunting and not love turkey hunting. I couldn't wait all year for just 2 months in the fall and then wait another 10 months to hunt. I love hunting too much to wait that long.