Video of a rub being created/maintained via trail cam

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Huntzilla, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Huntzilla

Huntzilla Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys, I got lucky and caught this rub being made and maintained on my trail cam. Pretty cool stuff. There’s a lot of stuff on this video that knocks what I was told about rubs growing up. Anyway, check it and let me know what you think. Oh and the rub is about 5-6in in diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

sheddinva likes this.
  2. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buck (what apperd to be a 3yo) stop and wear a cider tree out for an hour this year on cam. But that was it, he never touched it again and he passed through the area several more times. No other buck's paid any attention to it either.

You stated, "There's a lot of stuff on this video that knocks what I was told about rubs growing up". My question is, what did you learn?

Cool sequence of pic's by the way, I like it.

3. Huntzilla

Huntzilla Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man! I was told that a rub was made by a single buck to mark his territory. Now people are coming out talking about the communal or community rubs. Even people playing with horizontal rubs. There’s still evidence that can lead you to assume what’s going on at a rub though. I mean obviously height of the rub but also the damage done to the tree. Bigger bucks have more power and leverage so there will be more damage to the tree. I also learned that most of the big boys were in the day time. Ya know I assumed when I got to that area and saw the rub that I’d have a lot of stellar night time pictures but that wasn’t the case. I realize this isn’t typical of every rub but still it’s something to consider when youre sizing up an area. I only hunt public land so you have to be pretty quick to develop a plan of action. I dunno I guess to me I learned something that I feel is very valuable moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome!! Thanks for the response brother.

I can see how and why a lot of the old timers thought what they did. Probably 98% of the rubs I/we find are completely random, like the one I had made on cam this year. The other 2% are staging or communal or sign post. I've never really thought much about what these rubs are telling me...maybe I should.

Trail cam's have completely changed the game for me in white tail study, theory and tendencies over the past few year's.