Tree saddles and self filming

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Sep 17, 2019.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Since tree saddles seem to be all the rage, I'm wondering if using a tree saddles will present problems for those who self film. It seems to me that the cameras are pretty much stationary while the tree saddles lend themselves to much more movement than just being on a stationary stand. Thoughts?

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Curious to hear the replies on this. I've had a few conversions with people about this exact topic and it seems to me like self filming from a saddle would be a pain. From what I can tell, as a right-handed shooter you're shooting around the left side of the tree. Your camera arm needs to be on your right side so you can see the viewfinder and operate it with your right hand prior to the shot, which means you need to film around the right side of the tree. I've seen videos of people doing it, but never as effectively as those from a stand.

Although I have zero first-hand experience so I'm really speaking out of my butt more than usual.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't film my hunts, but I am saddle hunting. Knowing how maneuverable it is to get around the tree for a good shot angle, I would think it would actually be easier to set the camera where you want it and then move to the best position for the shot. It seems like a simpler process to be than being in a tree stand with less movement options and to be constantly having to reposition the camera if the deer moves before shooting. But, I have never filmed from either so I could be way off. I can definitely see how filming a hunt would be easier if there are two hunters in saddles and both can maneuver for the best shot and camera angle.

Berwickbuckmaster likes this.
  4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Several of the podcasts I listen to say it is easier than in a tree stand. I cannot confirm because I'm not hauling anymore stuff into the woods, check out wired to hunts saddle discussion and I believe THP has a PC on this topic as well.
    WiredtoHuntSaddlePodcast

5. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have done it. I will say there is a learning curve for sure. Part of it will depend on f you are a platform saddle hunter or more of an around the tree hunter. By that I mean some folks stand on a stationary platform once thy reach their desired height. That would probably be the easiest is my guess. Those guys arent typically walking their way around the tree. I like the option of moving around the tree so I use a ring of steps. I learned last year to position my camera in a certain way and by the end of the season it was working fine. I'm obviously facing the tree. I put my camera arm on the opposite side of the tree offset to the right...so about 2 o clock. If a deer comes in the way I anticipate (in front of me) I can film from behind the tree with minimal effort with my right hand on camera and left hand holding my bow. I'll at some point have to let go of the camera and point it at at a spot as I lean out to take the shot. If the deer hangs up to my left is where it's a little tricky. I have to bring the camera arond the back side of the tree, under my bridge, and then I can find the deer. What's cool is all of these movements are concealed because they happen behind the tree. Last year I shot a doe like this and she never had a clue I was there.

DIY Hnter did a great job on how this might work:

6. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DIY Hnter did a great job on how this might work: [/QUOTE]

So I watched this again and as I said, a fixed platform would work best. If I had to move to the opposite side of the tree I'd either just deal with my camera arm being on the left side of the tree, or I'd simply loosen it and slide it to the position I like (obviously I'd go with option one if a deer was in close)

So I'm not sure yet if it's actually harder or easier than using one in a typical stand. I often found positioning them right in a climber was hard. Like anything else, if it's important to you, you'll find a way.