To run and "gun" or to use a blind

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Excalibur, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First things first I'm using a crossbow this season. Who on here uses a blind and why and who runs and guns when bow hunting turkeys and why? Trying to figure out if I'll use a blind or not this season. If you've done both what has been best?

Shawn
    Furs and Spurs Hunting

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Always blinds be fixed or portable. I get busted more by deer than turkey and I love the calling a bird in from long distances. Besides for my private land hunting, I have guys set up on my lines facing our place not theirs. At camp 2x's I've called a bird in from two properties away just to jump out of my skin to see it shot 200 ft from me on the neighbors land. Here one year had a guy come in on neighbors land in the dark and light up my tree tops with a flood light! Thankfully he actually walked past the neighbor on the way in. He got an unpleasant surprise I could clearly hear from my blind.

Excalibur likes this.
  3. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to run and gun. Keeps me mobile and cover more ground if needed. It gives me the option to re-position quickly without the weight of the gear. If you can find a good leafy ghillie suit, they work great. I do this with gun and bow, before I call I check the terrain and cover around me in case one gobbles near me, I can just plop down right where I'm at. Pros and Cons to each, if you take kids, blinds can be very useful. They do make the mobile half blinds that work pretty good, I use one with my son.

Excalibur and oldnotdead like this.
  4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've done both and much prefer run and gun for turkeys. A blind is bulky to pack around and takes time to set up, plus kind of commits you to a spot. It is much easier to get drawn with a blind, but you don't have that issue.
    My turkey spot is 400 acres and they don't always roost in the same areas, so run and gun is just much easier to get on them.

Excalibur likes this.