The October Lull?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dwb, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering everyone's thoughts on the October Lull. Does it happen,when it happens or why it happens? I wonder if it has something to do with the dark moon. I always see less deer on a dark moon. But the first dark moon of the season is in October. Then the next dark moon is in November and that's during the rut when bucks are on there feet looking for does. And that is why we don't see a lull in November. That's my thoughts and it may not make sense. That's why I'm wondering everyone else's thoughts.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting pressure and guys walking all over the woods starting about a month before the season begins. That causes them to shift their movements away from where most people hunt.

That'sABingo and boonerville like this.
  3. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that as well. But I have had farms where I'm the only one that hunts and not put very much pressure on them and still see a drop in movement.

JohnnyD likes this.
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe it's actually a change in food sources/destinations in certain areas. The last week in Oct starts the beginning of the seeking phase of the rut, so activity really heats up then!

5. BowHood

BowHood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When that cold autumn breeze hits, thats when I know most bucks are out seeking some love. They aren't breeding here yet nor are they chasing, but the boys sure are getting things in order to do so.

6. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could really get going on this subject and turn it into a rant, so i'm going to try to keep it short and sweet. Deer do not automatically go into a "lull" because of a certain date on a calendar. Any perceived lull in activity is most often caused by early season gung-ho hunter pressure and mild weather. Deer have their thick winter coats now, and when it is warm out, they don't feel like walking around a bunch. Weather fronts trump everything. 2 days ago (October 15th) was by all calculations smack dab in the middle of the "lull", but across Iowa, Illinois, and the upper Midwest, it was one of the greatest days of hunting I may have ever seen. I saw and passed multiple big bucks, all of my buddies that hunted saw big bucks, one buddy shot one, another buddy missed one. Lakosky killed a 200 incher in Iowa, Don Higgins killed a 200 incher in Illinois, a 240+ incher was killed in Southern Michigan....those are just the ones I have heard about so far. All of that 2 days ago. If you pay attention to the weather and hunt smart there is no lull.

Marauder likes this.
  7. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe in a "lull". The does are out right? But where did that buck go? Is it the moon? Is it temperatures? During this time bucks are doing one of two things...fattening up before the rut and scent checking scrapes learning who's in their area (competition). Prior to the Rut, bucks are in the best shapes of their lives (provided there's no disease etc.), after the rut, they are in the worst shape of their lives. I believe that there is another short "lull" in Nov. This happens when most of the does have been bred and the Bucks' fat & energy reserves have been nearly depleted, temps are dropping and they need food urgently if they want to survive. This is when they'll stop chasing and start hitting the acorns and food sources for a brief window before does return into that "second rut" period. So is it really a "lull"? Call it whatever you want to call it, but they certainly haven't vanished off the face of the earth. Their patterns just change erratically for a short period of time.

Dwb likes this.
  8. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No such thing. Hunt the food sources at the right times and the deer will be there.

9. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you on this. I don't really believe in a lull. Now I do see a drop in movement in mid October every year. But I think it has more to do with a dark moon than a lull.

10. That'sABingo

That'sABingo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Human intrusion where there shouldn't be and change of food sources cause deer movement to change but not stop. Deer are moving... just not where they were all summer and early season. Big bucks are killed every day in October its just tougher to find them.

Rangerdan likes this.
  11. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Something I havn't seen mentioned yet is the bachelor groups are starting to break up. I've noticed in the past that bucks will start going solo right around the middle of October. They just don't like to be that close to other deer. That, plus their winter coat and warm weather patterns will decrease activity. I think the increased human activity in the woods is a very minor component but shouldn't be discarded.

Dwb likes this.
  12. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well said and a very good point. I haven't even thought about it that way.

13. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the comments so far. You all have made some really good points that I haven't even thought about.

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the absence of a cold front, my trail cameras have for many years told the story of a decrease in big buck activity during mid October. I also think that a heavier coat of fur slows them down from normal activity. Especially during daylight hours, but even after dark I noticed far fewer pictures of mature bucks during the "lull". I will agree that a fairly steep drop in temperatures can be a game changer. But, I have ran trail cameras since we had to make our own and can promise you that the normal level of buck activity more times than not will "lull" in mid October. They simply cover less ground for a couple of weeks. I'm sure there are a number of reasons, but it happens like clockwork.

And as a side note, this is on land with absolutely zero hunting pressure. So, its a natural behavior change.

I have often wondered if a hormonal change makes the bucks want to rest up for what they know is going to be weeks of endless movement looking for does.

Dwb likes this.
  15. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe that's their version of our "taper" during the final weeks of marathon preparation. :)

fletch920 likes this.
  16. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Many factors here---here in central wi this coincides with leaves dropping--this means travel routes will change to thicker more comfortable patterns, many old routes are now open parks----yes winter coats are a factor, Bucks are now getting back to thinking does are great sport and maybe they should start snuggling up to them, Does are not taking any part of it, so does change habits to avoid confronting the horney boys, Yes I am sure hunting pressure can have an effect but I also have seen the signs on area,s with No hunting pressure ! Lastly there is getting to be more and more darkness to travel about as a free bird. those are my rambling thoughts after 50 plus years of bowhunting take it or leave it

17. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My finding over the past 15 years of hunting and running cams is opposite of Fletch.
    I usually see an INCREASE of buck movement and new bucks from oct 10-20th

18. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying this. You all are shedding a lot of new light on what I see every year. I never knew why it was happening but I knew something was diff. I just put a lot of the reason on the moon I never thought about the points you guys are bringing out. Thanks!

19. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get that here until about this time of year. Normally about the 5th through the 18th or so, the activity is greatly reduced unless weather patterns are abnormally cool. I think the "lull" period depends on region. I would assume that bucks are already chasing up north and it wont happen for our friends in the south for many weeks yet.

20. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The lack of deer movement seen can be attributed to so many factors that everyone has mentioned. It could simply be a combination of factors and not one specific thing. Weather, Sun light, Food, Predation, Location, and Hunting Pressure can slow or increase deer movement. October Lull is a term we hunters use. Essentially it's been made up by individuals who believe this time of year has slower deer movement. There is definitely data to back up their explanations, however it can only be taken as general information and not be used for every area in every situation, in October throughout North America.