The NFL is killing itself

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Raiders teams officials standing around Lynch sheilding the camera from picking him up sitting during the anthem. Fox stating that they will no longer show the anthem for fear of viewers seeing the players protest. The NFL and it's players making it about them vs Trump when people agree with Trump on the anthem protest BS. Normally I am a sunday noon afternoon and evening NFL fan. I understand that the players have the right to protest but in their self importance they do not even consider how offensive a protest during the anthem is to a majority of Americans.

I had a family gathering last night and had a sibling tell me that her kids know I am a republican and they wanted to ask me what I thought about Trump and the NFL but they were afraid. I was taken back that they were of the opinion that the issue is about politics or Trump, nothing to do with it at all but that is what people that do not agree have made it into. I went into my parents living room and grabbed the triangle box frame that holds the flag that was on my grandfathers casket. A man that finished his stint in the Navy and enlisted in the Army when WW2 started. That is why you you stand, remove your hat and face the flag.

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with what you say about standing for the anthem, but not about the NFL killing itself. They will be fine.

w33kender likes this.
  3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All people do not agree with Trump, at least be accurate and not like the fake media.

w33kender likes this.
  4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey look at the bright side NFL ticket prices have came down quite a bit.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care how people show their respect during the anthem as long as they do. If they leave their hat on not a big deal, personally I don't put my hand over my heart, I stand at attention with my hands at my sides.

Its not the act of taking a knee or joining arms that I find disrespectful, is protesting of any type during it. If players, coaches and fans want to join hands tonight for MNF and take a knee to pay respects to those who where shot, killed and injured in the Vegas shooting I would encourage them. That would be a respectful and unifying act. There are plenty of chances for players to protest. Walk out of the tunnel together, take a knee during the coin flip. Join together after the game at mid field.

randy3003 and w33kender like this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am old school take the damn hat off, people have forgotten how to honer and respect. I do not mind joining arms, or raising a fist as long as you stand and face the flag.

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Martha Ford met with her team and ask them to stand, but she also told them if they can come up with a better solution to the problem than just taking a knee, she would back their idea financially.

That's leadership any clown can sit on stage and yell and scream, leaders find a better way.

dnoodles, randy3003 and Sota like this.
  8. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Me, too. Were you a marine? When in civies and colors/taps sounded, we had to stop at attention and stand until the last note sounded.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to take a look at the University of Missouri and how they reacted to the social justice warriors. The NFL is heading down the same path as them, and it has not gone well for the University of Missouri. Their enrollment is down big time, Freshmen enrollment is down over 35%. They have had to close two practically brand new dorms because of it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/...ouri-enrollment-protests-fallout.html?mcubz=3

While the NFL is a stronger brand than the University of Missouri, there are still other things people can be doing on Sunday's, Monday and Thursday nights. There's other things they can spend their money on. Many people are choosing to do just that. I have not watched an NFL game for the last 3 weeks, and I have been a pretty avid fan of the NFL. I'm just your average everyday American who believe the flag stands for too much to ever desecrate it. Too many people have given their lives to defend the principals for which it stands. The flag represents the idea of freedom and America and the flag is not the problem.

It's time that everyone starts taking responsibilities for their actions, and decide they want to do something positive to bring about whatever change they want. Protesting is divisive, it makes people pick and choose which "side" they are on. Positive action is what is needed, put your money and time where you mouth is. As I love to tell the people I work with, "Complaining without a proposed solution is just bitching". If you want to change how the police treat you, you need to change their perception of you. Stop acting out if you are pulled over! Talk to the officer with respect! If they ask you to do something, do it! Don't be an antagonist! Say hello, or wave to an officer when you see them! Engage in a civil conversation with them! Help them when they need help! It's really not that hard, if everyone begins to treat the officers with respect, they will begin to see the change and will most likely feel less threatened or find it less necessary to show their authority through force, because that's what this is all about. The honest truth is these officers are dealing with bad people all day long! They view the world through those eyes, every time they have contact with someone it could be their last, the feel threatened and because of that they react accordingly. Change their perception and you will see a change in how you are treated!

10. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the NFL sales. Down another 17% in this past week. That includes game attendance, souvenir sales, all NFL vendor sales every where. If this continues how will they make that outstanding pay roll? Wal-Mart only wants items in their store that sell. How long before their NFL stuff is gone? Those arm linker and kneelers need to look at exactly where Colin's big donations are going. It is there on the web, just go look it up. NASCAR absolutely will not allow any of it. Richard Petty said any one that does not stand better find another way home. Richard
    Childres said basically the same thing, along with several other team owners. But the reporters and camera people are running around like a bunch of rats looking for a hole to dive in to. Really ticks me off.

randy3003 likes this.
  11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    TV contract runs through 2022, NFL will be fine. I am excited about the extra time all these caring former fans will have to help our veterans. I am sure I will see an influx at my local VFW post for the pancake breakfast fundraisers and auctions we help run, but I won't hold my breath.

randy3003 likes this.
  12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I have 2 thoughts about the whole kneeling thing, probably both reiteration from what others have already said. First, their disrespect to the anthem is also their free speech and they can do it if they want. Second, they are ignorant idiots and their actions have repercussions, hence the falling NFL ratings and the burning of jerseys and memorabilia. If they want to protest about "inequality" they should first look in the mirror because over half of NFL players who played in the past few years have a criminal record AND most black deaths are caused by black on black crime. I'd like to see what "inequalities" they speak of and have that conversation. The only reason cop shootings seem more "prevalent" is because of how the media is used to push agendas. There have been a lot news stories of criminals getting shot by police because they attacked the officer, resisted arrest and tried to injure the officer, or they had a gun and pulled it on the officer. In my house we all shut up and watch the performer with our hand on our heart. The respect and attention to the flag and anthem goes to those who fought and/or died to allow these idiots to even have the ability to protest, go try that in some countries and they'd be killed.

randy3003 likes this.
  13. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its unfortunate how everything has become so politicized... Standing for the anthem is such a simple gesture. I can't fathom how a citizen of this country could be so selfish to not put aside their agenda for two minutes and stand and show unity respect and thanks for this great country.

Definitely a poor business decision. I haven't been much of a fan these last few years so I don't miss it at all.

randy3003 and Skywalker like this.
  14. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Contracts are made to be broken. I agree, you probably won't notice any change in attendance. But even if another 10 showed up, who would notice? I think NASCAR will get the majority and as these begin to understand the fine points and the technical aspect of high stakes racing, they will stay. Only team I follow is the Chiefs as they don't have any of this kneeling stuff - yet. For each person and stop going to a NFL game in person cost the NFL at least $100 per game. Multiply that time the number of people nation wide that stop attending and your talking million real fast. If the NFL ends up being fine it will be because of a change in forcing player conduct. Don't stand at attention - you don't get paid. PERIOD.

randy3003 likes this.
  15. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Chiefs? It's amazing how folks will just ignore facts to fit their views. Which is why after next year it will be business as usual.

NASCAR as the number one sport, now that's funny. Left turn, left turn, left turn, wait for it, left turn

[​IMG]

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's bad business to offend your customers, it's one of the fastest ways possible to lose those customers. I think the teams and NFL management has forgotten about that, they think of themselves as too big to fail, but I think they have found the one thing that would turn away ALOT of their customers.

I don't think there's anyone that would argue that the players have the right to voice their minds and protest in whatever peaceful way they choose, just as the fans have the choice whether or not they want to continue to support them.

randy3003 likes this.
  17. randy3003

randy3003 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a disabled vet, and a firm supporter in the constitution, but when anyone disrespects the flag of the United States or our national anthem, then they're walking on the fighting side of me, and since there's so many of them, and their so damn big and I'd definitely get my old butt kicked, so I've chosen to fight the only way I know I can win. I burned my tickets and there will be no pro football on my television. I am also boycotting any companies that support them. Sorry Budweiser after 40 some years together this means you too. I believe in free speech but there's a time and a place... and during the presentation of our nation's flag and the playing of our national anthem will never be it!!!!! There's a saying us old veterans use " all gave some, and some gave all" and disrespecting the symbols of a nation that they made the ultimate sacrifice for is like pissing on their graves and I absolutely refuse to in any way shape or form ever be a party to.
    Neither Our flag nor our national anthem have ever discriminated against or oppressed any people. That is a people thing. I find it messed up when full grown men making millions of dollars for playing a child's sport, that have never defended anything in their lives but a goal post think they can speak for the oppressed while spitting in the face of a veteran (figuratively of course). How oppressed can you really be when you're making that kind of money. If they really want to do something about it let them give up say half their wages to help the truly oppressed. They'd still have more left then most people will make in a lifetime. Now let's see how many take me up on that challenge. Let me guess... none!!! Their idea of help is disrespecting the flag, pissing off veterans and standing there with their arms locked in solidarity... one just as stupid looking as the next ... believing they're actually doing something to help.
    Ok I'm done ranting now. Signed A Pissed Off Veteran

18. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's just retarded, if they have a cause to protest, do it in a multitude of other ways. Hell, the NFL and professional sports is basically slavery at it's core. Players are bought and sold/traded and used as modern day gladiators who risk injury and death. If these hot shots want to protest injustices maybe they should start by quitting sports.

19. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you think Nascar gets it, you really don't understand what this protest is about.

20. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    which part of the protest? the idea that police forces are all racist to blacks? Or the part about Michael Bennett being racially profiled and excessive force, or the part about them all getting their undies in a bunch because Trump tweeted?

randy3003 likes this.