---------team 8----------

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by CleChevy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'm out still trying, it's been a frustrating season so far to say the least. The landowners I hunt at are starting to get irritated I haven't taken a deer out. It's an urban area and they wanted all the deer taken out since they eat they're plants. They were talkin about letting another guy come in to hunt, which I really don't want because there is only 3 or so huntable acres and really only one good spot. I just don't want him messing with my area, so I gotta whack a doe pretty quick here. The opportunities just haven't really been there, but we will see how the rest of the season goes since ill be on winter break here after this week of finals.

2. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I havent been out since November with the bow.....work sucks, but I'm headed out in the AM...I did manage to shoot 2 Does and a decent buck with the .300WSM.....loving it, gotta freezer full of meat!

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well Ive been a failure so far. Just always at the wrong spot. Going to move a couple of stands and hopefully get one after Christmas.

4. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You and me both man, its frustrating as hell

5. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Between the holidays, work, warm weather and other family things, I haven't been out since the two days before Thanksgiving. Hope to get back out before Christmas then after that, I have the rest of January.

6. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess there's no bragging rights for us this year. Deer population sucks bad here so I'm not going to shoot any does. Saw only 4 deer all gun season, one was a nice 8 point I killed opening day at 7:37 am. Well good luck to all that are still hunting and have a great Christmas and New year!
    Rory

7. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been tryin'. I can't believe deer are not heading to food sources just before dusk. I think they've all gone nockturnal. Our season in NY is just about over for this year.

8. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Going to head out tomorrow morning and possibly evening too. Gotta keep trying!

9. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Score this morning -
    Cold Treestand: 0
    Warm Bed: 1

Heading out in about an hour for the evening!

10. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :spam: you're bad young man... :hail:

11. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Haha yeah I suppose.

I saw one doe fawn run past me twice, back and forth at a dead run. No idea what was going on with her. Saw one red fox and two does as I was heading out after shooting light. The spot I hunted seemed like a good spot for morning to mid morning. Pretty good cover for bedding and it's right next to a man-made foot path that the deer are using to move through some super-thick brush between a creek bottom and open field / corn field.

Gonna setup there next time.

12. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DANG... Tuesday is the last day for deer season here in NY. I just hope that between now and then SOMETHING saunders by close enough for an ethical shot. :rant:

13. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out in the morning. Going to try to hunt a different area, no one has been getting close to a buck so I'm trying something different in the morning.

14. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Antlerman....You seeing anything related to EHD? Heard of a few cases that are more than likely EHD around here. Our numbers have always been well above normal. Although they are still good compared to most places the deer population is down for sure in our area.

I went out last night and sat with the bow for late muzzleloader. Saw a big doe with 4 young ones with her. Ended up seeing 9 total from a distance. Gun season is over and every deer is on full alert. It was great just to sit in a tree again with a bow. Nothing close, but felt great. Big storm coming tomorrow night. I'm going to try to get out in the afternoon tomorrow. Hoping they are up moving heavily before storm. Our food plot we have is getting hammered. Hope to catch a nice buck on the way to an early feeding.

15. mrantlerman

Dislikes Received:
    No signs of EHD here. Just very poor numbers of deer in the area.

16. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a buddy that lives in Madison and hunts about an hour north. He has found a couple deer which were by water earlier this year. He thought it was probably EHD.

Stuff like that really scares me. Something that is hard to control or manage. Sometimes I take for granted the numbers of deer in our area because they have always been there in my life. My dad talks about doing lottery tags for residents years ago. Never saw the deer or turkey we see today. Hope it never gets back to those low numbers.

17. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Wanted to go today but winds are 30-40 with gusts to 50. No point in being in a tree or even in the timber for that matter.

18. mrantlerman

Dislikes Received:
    I think I hear the fat lady singing!

19. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    TAG SOUP for me this year! Sorry Team... I think I'm gonna' look for an urban area to hunt next year. Seems like those types of areas routinely score during Archery season. I want to shoot a goodun' next year to make up for nothing this year.

Thanks to everyone that scored for the team this year... enjoy your venison :hail:

20. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No worries man that's jut the way it goes. I had to eat my doe tag this year and last year, all I got left is my either sex tag. I'm sure you'll put down a big boy next year and hopefully you'll be on our team!