Team 6 - Silent But Deadly

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by jnida, Aug 25, 2012.

1. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting around Marysville. Didn't see anything this morning with 30 mph winds but hopefully tomorrow will pick up. Going to look at a new stand location this afternoon. Found a very small draw with a dozen rubs in it and three fresh scrapes. Pretty exciting since I've yet to find a rub or scrape in one the areas I hunt in Oklahoma.

2. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I laid the smack on a 130+ 4x4 yesterday morning. He was bedded a little bit above me when I shot. Let him lay. 4 hours later 6 of us went to get him and followed pin pricks of blood for 800+ yards. One of the guides saw him rutting a doe across a field, what seemed like a done deal turned into a sad day. Because of the angle of the shot we think the shot that looked perfect must have been a little high and didn't get in any vitals. I honestly don't know how it wasn't a 30 yard blood trail to a piled up buck. But my guides and outfitter whom I consider to be absolutely world class, are certain that he would not have covered the ground that he did with a vital wound. If any one is looking for an incredible opportunity to hunt Wisconsin monsters, I would highly recommend Scott Kirkpatrick ad Buffalo County Outfitters. If you have any questions let me know! Didn't put the points in the board like I had hoped but I sure gave it a shot. Shot at another 140" 4x4 the night before and the arrow deflected hard. Watched a 170"+, a 160" and a 160" class 4x4 rut 3 separate does in a large cut corn field one night. Talk about bucks growling! Made my trip!

3. Razortec

Razortec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    On stand need a stroke of luck with this wind

4. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That makes two of us.

5. NYMark

NYMark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas no buck for me in ohio. I hunted hard from the 2nd till the 11th never missing a sit.I had 5 seperate encounters with shooter bucks but 50 yards was the closest.I did smoke a doe and it may of cost me a chance at a good one that showed up ten minutes later.But i had a awesome week weather was perfect deer were on the move and i enjoyed every minute of it.I have a bunch of footage but only one shooter i got focused on for a few seconds.Really my first year packing a cam in every hunt and now know how valuable manual focus is.I will try to get a little movie done this week for you to view.Maybe i'll get out for some late season and try to get some more points on the board.

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like we're all putting in the work and things aren't going so well. I sat in 30 mph winds today in 28 degrees and saw nada. By the time it got dark I'm not so sure I would have been able to draw my bow I was so stiff and cold. I'm not seeing anywhere near the amount of sign I saw last year. I spoke with the game warden today and he said the EHD took a toll in this area but they don't know yet how bad it was. He saw four cruising bucks today and said one of them was in the top five he has ever seen! That's saying something given he sees a ton of deer every year. Tomorrow the wind is supposed to let up and I'll be in the stand by 6 am. Only 5 mph winds and 22 degrees expected in the morning. I have a doe tag and this stand would be a perfect set up to whack one if she came by.

My friend and his wife both shot does last night and it was an ordeal getting them out before the rain came. It takes 1/4 inch of rain to make the roads around her impassable and we made it out within 15 minutes of the downpour. They are 60 years old and hunt separately on the ground. No blinds. She was on her hands and knees at 9:00 pm last night tracking her doe. It was all I could do to keep up with her when we headed to the truck. Can't say I've ever seen a woman hunt like she does. She always hunts on the ground and last night shot her doe at 8 yards. Pretty cool.

Hope I have a good report tomorrow.

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great effort put in, Mark!

I have until Saturday to shoot a doe .. I should have 6 more sits in at least, so we shall see. .. Saturday is gun season, and unless we are close, I am taking my gun ... that season is 3 weeks long and then a 10 day Bow/ML season ... depending on where we stand will determine what weapon I hunt that with ...

We have been so close at being in the lead .... if we lose, it won't be for lack of effort!

8. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tony,
    i would like to appogize to you, about not texting you. Sorry bro. However i have no signal down on that farm. So i ran back here to the house and jumped on the computer in stead of texting everyone.

I knew you would see the post SORRY again

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No problem, Chris....Congrats!

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No problem, Chris! Congrats!

11. cvbot

cvbot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DeerPic.jpg I hunted all weekend (friday-sunday) with my buddy in central SD. An hour into my first sit I had a 150" 5x5 walk through a twenty yard wide gap in the cedars at fifteen yards. I pulled back and grunted to get him to stop. I think it startled him because he started walking faster and he didn't stop until he was in the cedars again. Then he stopped and looked back to see where the noise came from. After not seeing anything he proceeded to follow the doe he was chasing. I hunted the rest of the weekend passing up a few 120 to 130" bucks, bucks that I would never pass up where I usually hunt. The only reason I passed on them was because I wanted to get the big buck and I was on awesome land that had been managed for the sole purpose of producing quality whitetails. I can't thank my buddy enough for inviting me with to hunt with him this past weekend.
    After passing up 3 shooter bucks hoping the big one would come by again, the wind changed directions while we were in the stand saturday night. We knew the wind was going to be 25-35 mph for sunday and a wind chill of +5 degrees. My buddy told me that I should think hard about shooting any decent buck that offered a shot because after this sit, its going to get tough. I ended up taking a nice 4x5 at 4:00 saturday afternoon. Made a great double lung shot at 22 yards and he only ran 75 yards. I'm not sure what he will score as I have never scored a deer before, but I would guess around 100", maybe less. It was the best weekend I have ever had bowhunting. I saw over 20 bucks, one doe get bred by 2 different bucks, and 4 bucks that were over 120".

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, man! Congrats!

13. NYMark

NYMark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!!!

14. Razortec

Razortec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go man!

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another unreal morning ... I say 3 bucks that had racks way beyond their ears, another buck that I couldn't tell because he was walking broadside at 50 yards and never came in ...

called in one of those wide ones to 15 yards,

I coulda shot another beautiful wide 8 pointer at 25 yards ..

jumped 2 doe walking in ... 7

:15 I had 2 more doe walking right to me behind the hemlocks at 25 yards and something behind me to my left made them nervous so they turned back the way they came ...

so close...

I didn't want to leave but I have an interview for my same Job at a site that is 5 minutes from home instead of 45 minutes.... off to my interview and then back in the woods!!!!

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interview went well.....off to the hunt!

17. NYMark

NYMark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put together a quik set of clips from ohio.
    [video=vimeo;53473505]https://vimeo.com/53473505[/video]

18. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice video! Congrats on your buck CV. I'm getting my butt kicked in Kansas. I have two more days of hunting and in the last 7 days have not been in shooting range of a buck or doe. I've seen one shooter buck that was 400 yards away and a few (very few) small bucks. EHD has knocked the population here way down and it is evident by the lack of deer that I and others are seeing. I've seen a few bucks locked down with does from the road and all these deer are less than 75 inches. Pretty bad when the biggest, baddest buck in the area on a hot doe is less than 100 inches.

I'll be at it tomorrow morning. Not even sure at this point where I'll hunt; its that tough. I've seen thirteen coyotes and a huge bobcat. Pretty cool.

19. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everybody in the coming days. I will be back at it again on Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. I nearly closed the deal this past Tuesday in IL on another good buck. He was probably 130 or so. Definitely big enough for me. Had him at 50 yards chasing two does. He went away with one of the does while the other one walked directly underneath me. Frustrating to say the least. And the worst part....that was the first morning that I hunted a different tree than the one I had been hunting on this property. The tree that I had been hunting....well he strolled less than ten yards away from that tree.......twice.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great video, Mark!

Jerry, that sucks .... anything after Kansas?

Jake, what a season you have had ... wrong place at the wrong time with that 130 can't diminish that...

Let's get all the deer entered asap, boys ... is there 2 out there that have to be entered yet?

Tomorrow starts gun season in NY ... I am off for a morning hunt with my bow today....