Strutting in Feb.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by JeffC, Feb 19, 2020.

1. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Came across a small flock today, 2 of the Toms were strutting, way to early, weather is making them crazy. 60's yesterday high 40's today and then cold for 2 days. turkeys.PNG

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On the way to archery practice at a local school, saw about 12-18 birds in a field. Wondering if the warmer weather will speed things up.

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read somewhere that turkeys go through 3 different mating phases. An early one, a 2nd main one (the one we hunt in April), and then a 3rd one after that.
    No idea how true that may be and what sets off their mating season.
    I have seen years where a late snow happens and the hens lose their first batch of eggs, those years I hear them going crazy 2 to 3 weeks into May when I'm morel hunting, like they go back into mating season due to losing the eggs. Makes me think of the line in Jurassic Park, "nature will find a way".
    I'm rambling, I'll stop now.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  4. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got a flock of 7 Toms ,a jake and 1 to 2 hens that wander thru during the winter , haven't had a single picture of 1 in strut this year. But I go outside every morning and listen to them gobble on the roost, and they have been ramping up the intensity, couple weeks ago only would hear 1 bird, this morning heard at least 5 different birds sounding off, and it was pretty cold compared to what its been. Calling for snow flurries tonight, then back to high 60s by Monday. IMG_0402.JPG

Fix and jonderrs7 like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a big Tom walking out into a field at about 3. He was by him self, not flocked up. There on the move!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. Udine219

Udine219 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hubby saw a Tom out in the WW field next door in full strutt . 40's then, low 30's now and snowing to beat the band. They strut all winter here and gobble. Same at camp. Strutt and gobble year around. It's not just a breeding thing it's a territorial / dominance display.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  8. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_1201.JPG IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1197.JPG
    Just pulled camera cards yesterday and had hundreds of pictures of toms strutting. The past week there were more pics of toms strutting than pics where they were not but really started doing it around middle of feb.
    hopefully they keep it up! Seems I might have a few to choose from if they hang around.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

JeffC and oldnotdead like this.