String stop ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MikeK, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just recently got a new string put. When I went to pick it up the shop didn't put on any silencers. Went back with the tech to do some final adjustments and shoot it. First three shot where a little to the left but grouped well. He said it was because the kisser button was not in the same location as the old one minor adjustment and I was back on. So then I asked him why does it sound like I'm strumming a guitar. For got to put on string silencers. Put 4 monkey tails on but still seemed to be a little louder then I remember with the old string. He said the only thing would be is to put on a string stopper and that would cut down all the noise. So my question do they work or do you still get noise. The more I shoot it the less I hear it. Maybe I'm just getting use to it or ignoring it?

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of bow are you shooting? Also, if you normally shoot outside and you pick your bow up at the shop and shoot inside, that'll make a difference. Even more so if you're the only one shooting

3. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting a diamond nitrous. I know it's an older bow but am very comfortable with it and don't want to upgrade for now. Do believe it's 9 years old. Just seems louder than before I got a new string.

4. dukester78

dukester78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. Jeremiah Wolf

Jeremiah Wolf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's going to make some noise. You're launching an arrow over 300 fps. I put a new string on mine last year and I know it's a bit louder but my poundage went from 67lbs to 72lbs (Tighter string)

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Jeremiah Wolf

Jeremiah Wolf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oh. String stop! I have an older DXT Mathews and I put a string stop on and like it. Get one. It could help

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had an issue this summer where my bow was making a loud twang/strum noise. It was actually the kisser button. Try taking that off to see if it helps. I took mine off and it fixed the problem. I tied some serving on where the kisser used to be and now I just use that. I'm not sure what changed, I had the regular kisser on there for over a year and then the bow decided it didn't like it.

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A string stop will help the noise. I think the biggest thing you can do to eliminate noise is a heavy arrow. I shoot with as little material on the string as I can as well and I would take the kisser off and tie on a served kisser like mentioned before.

9. RatherBArchery

RatherBArchery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would guess part of your problem could be that the NEW string is built using a low stretch material that would be louder then some of the older materials BUT, would also be faster. I DO NOT like big kisser buttons but instead use a Tuffy Button as a reference "kisser". If you are shooting inside at a range the bow will sound much louder then shooting outside. A string stop is a good idea for noise as well as keeping from getting zapped by the string. Also helps when wearing long sleeves during hunting season.........clothing contact does affect accuracy no matter how slight!!

Excalibur likes this.
  10. Moose

Moose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    String stop will help the noise a bit. Stops the back and forth vibration upon release. Usually new strings are a bit louder until they are broken in too (at least from my experience). Also if you purchased a top of the line string with no stretch qualities they tend to be a bit more 'twangy'. I just upgraded my bow to a Winner's choice string from my base model string that came with my PSE RTS package I got from my local archery shop a few years ago. It is definitely a bit louder than my last one even with the same dampeners and string stop. No complaints though I expected it to be such. As said above heavier arrows and kisser buttons can affect noise as well in positive and negative ways. Every bow is different as well depends on your set up.

11. TRUE HUNT

TRUE HUNT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Check that all the screws are tight on the bow. Then if all tight go shoot it around 300 shoots so the string can settle in.
    Then retune bow and that should do it.
    Good Luck

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a string stop and like it. It's more of a thwack sound rather than a twang sound and stops the vibration, and thus the noise. I might also add that many people don't think about the noise that the cable slide makes, mostly when drawing but also a little when shooting. I know you didn't bring it up in your post but I also highly recommend the Saunders Hyper Glide cable guide, makes for a silent smooth draw. It's a cheap accessory too.