Stand stolen, looking recommendations on a new one.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantexian, Dec 7, 2017.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately, I had my stand stolen. It was a Summit Viper Classic climber. I am looking at simply getting another one. However, I am also considering a hang-on stand. I am currently looking at the Hawk Mega Combat, Hawk Kickback, Muddy Prodigy, and Summit Mammoth.

I have never used a hang-on set up. So if you have experience with any of these hang stands, let me know your thoughts, also what stick set ups you would run with it. I am on a budget of $200 for stand and sticks or another climber set up, so please do not recommend anything over that. Thanks.

BB1 likes this.
  2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is your intent to bring the stand with you in and out every time you use it? You hunting public land?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt private land. In the past, I left my climber on the tree because it is remote from any access, whoever stole trespassed deep into private property. Did this for six years without a problem.

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can say that if you want something with some size and comfort check out millenium, hawk, and muddy lock ons. If you want something to pack around thats slightly smaller and light check out lone wolf hang ons. I personally enjoy the muddy boss xl stands. they are cheaper so i can buy 4 or 5 to hang in multiple spots vs 1 or 2 of a more expensive hang on.

5. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would stick with a climber. I have a Lonewolf and sticks and they stay hanging on the wall. To me a climber is safer and here in the south we have plenty of trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pick00l and early in like this.
  6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your just hunting one spot, I'd get a set of 20' ladder sticks that run $40-$50 and spend the rest on the best stand I can get. If you are going to move around, it gets more complicated because mobile sticks are pretty expensive.

7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    This had been my thought if I go with a hang-on set. I might move it once or twice during the season during depending on deer movement. However, it will most likely stay in one spot.

8. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Any preference between the Hawk or Muddy options under $200? Lone Wolfs are out of my price range for now.

9. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I think they are similar in quality and design for the most part. I do like the look of the comfort mesh seats on the Hawk, but I don't own any Hawk stands to compare. I like the top bracket and leveling ability of the Muddy's I have, but they were before Muddy was bought out by Mainstream Holding(parent company of Big Game). So I'm not sure if they are built with the same quality level. I also like how my Muddy Outfitters bottom of the stand bites into the tree. Makes for a solid stand. Not all Muddy's have that though.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
  11. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry your stuff got stolen, I know the feeling as I had a brand new trailcam (locked with a python lock) taken last year. It definitely sucks. Since I am a budget hunter, I found these at ****'s Sporting Goods which I have used this season and they have worked well:

https://www.****ssportinggoods.com/...ack-17fnsufsclmbngscttsb/17fnsufsclmbngscttsb

I usually take off the bottom climbing stick and pack it in/out with me so that no one can reach my stand or other sticks.

12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
  13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    How high can you get with those? I may pick some up if I go with a hang-on. I have a ****'s close.

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cabelas is free shipping and 10% off today, no minimum. Sorry about the loss of your property.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Skywalker likes this.
  15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! Is that good only for today? Was there a discount code for the 10%, shipping came off when I tried but there is an $18 shipping surcharge.

16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    10% of won't work me, requires purchase on a Cabelas Visa, which I do not have.

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss. I know the feeling when you get to your tree, you know it's the right one, and there's no stand. I had a LW S&C stolen that was cable locked, on private land! I hate thieves. I would stay with another climber. It really is a safer set up. My Assault hang-on and sticks just sits in the corner most of the time. I love my LW sit and climb, wouldn't be without it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  18. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Says free shipping at the top of their site with holiday code entered, no minimum spend limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Shipping worked but the extra 10% off only works if you pay with a Cabelas Visa. Which I do not have. However, I just talked to my local Bass Pro, as long as I bring in the add, they will honor the same price. So I may be doing that tonight or tomorrow.

20. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For about $130 you can get a millennium hang on and a cheap set of sticks. I’ve done this on a few private pieces I hunt. If I get worried about thieves, I’ve taken off the bottom 2 set of sticks and ditched them under a tree about 50 feet away. I wasn’t concerned about the weight of the setup as I wasn’t hiking them in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums