Stand Placement Decision

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CToutdoorsman, Mar 22, 2017.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    With the property that I am hunting it isn't very big and boarders a neighborhood, I have talked to most of the bordering property owners and they have no problem with me hunting back around their property. One of my stand spots is a great pinch point where I can ambush the deer coming back in the morning from eating peoples gardens and going back to bed however this spot is right on the edge of property lines and my fear is that if I shoot a deer there it will head back the way it came and end up in someones yard. Like I said most of the property owners have no problem with me hunting back there but I would just hate for them to find a dead deer in their back yard, so my question is do I keep hunting that spot and just hope the deer don't run back in someones yard or do I try and find a new spot?

2. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the neighbors are fine with it and you aren't breaking any laws or city/country ordinance you should be ok. I had a place like this and one of the deer I killed I had to track across his land (backyard) as soon as I climbed down I just knocked on his door again to inform him and make sure I was still good. That particular deer was the wildest tracking / recovery job I've ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. kurtzgreg1561

kurtzgreg1561 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would consider speaking with the land owner's about the very real possibility that type of issue could happen. Might be iffy should it run across the yard with an arrow sticking out and expire in front of some kids or a person not prepared to see real nature.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

4. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    And that is exactly what I am afraid is going to happen the last thing I want is to scare the hell out of some little kids playing in their yard.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Public relations and public perception is VERY important.

Definitely need to seriously consider all of the angles and possibilities.

tree_ghost, Josh/OH and kurtzgreg1561 like this.
  6. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree with you.

kurtzgreg1561 likes this.
  7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would just have the conversation with the property owners ahead of time. I know it happens but I would imagine once there is an arrow sticking out of a deer it will run for the safest spot they can think of, I'm guessing that usually isn't Timmy's sandbox!
    I wouldn't worry to much about it but you should have that conversation with the landowners a head of time!

Jeepwillys likes this.
  8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience, deer always run away from the direction they feel the threat from. If your pinch point is good, simply wait until the deer's only option is to run to cover and bed before shooting. But, good idea thinking ahead. At least the landowners will be warned if it does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

ThrowingRocks and Josh/OH like this.
  9. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately I lost my best farm in Georgia due to this exact same scenario...hind sight is always 20/20.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. kurtzgreg1561

kurtzgreg1561 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that sir. Tough lesson to learn. I wish you luck finding another quality property to hunt. This time you know how to approach the situation so hopefully it will work out differently.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

11. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in Rhode Island and know exactly what you refer to. The suggestions you have received are crucial to maintaining relations. The other thing that is vital is that you only take shots that insure a double lung kill. I know some folks are going to say that you can't guarantee that and I understand, but what I am referring to is not taking a shot if there is any question about getting both lungs. In close quarters it is better to let the deer walk for another time and not take a chance on an "iffy" shot. You know the shots I'm talking about: quarter to, walking, full on alert, etc. It is not worth the risk and will likely result in a situation that you are trying to avoid. Good Luck

12. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely agree with all that has been offered up in suggestions thus far. Talking to the neighbors and making sure that they understand a bow is typically not going to drop a deer in its tracks like a firearm is a wise course of action. The beauty of archery hunting is the stealth and quiet, but the challenge is that deer size game often run away after the shot. Up until the 2016 season I was not a fan of mechanical heads, but gave NAP Spitfires a fair try last fall and they put game down quickly with a good shot. Equipment choices like that would also be a strong consideration, along with taking only high percentage shots....regardless of the headgear.

13. Bowslinger2

Bowslinger2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Talk with the land owners . I don't give a damn where you shoot a deer. He's gonna die where he dies. He could drop in his tracks or go hundreds of yards. When the blood runs out or the air runs out. that's where he's gonna die.