Sportsman's guide hang ons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by palmettoyounggun, Sep 25, 2017.

1. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im sure this has been covered in here before but I'm not finding a whole lot when I search. Who all here uses the guide gear hang ons? For $40 I was going to try a couple out. I am also looking at their climbing sticks if anyone has any first hand experience with them as well. I hunt out of my summit climber most of the time but was looking to put some hang ons in the areas I hunt frequently. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have no experience with this equipment but have lived a lot of life and found that "You get what you pay for"is pretty dead on.

early in likes this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've used both. The stand is Not comfy at all. I used my own ratchet strap on them, two actually both rated at 500 pounds.
    The same with the ladder stick. I did not trust the straps it came with. All in all it got the job done, but was not comfortable, even for a few hour hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldsturg likes this.
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This covers it. When my life is sitting on the stand, I like to know I have quality (LW) supporting me. Don't skimp.

5. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Replace the straps on the ladder with ratchet straps. The stand I have is fine. You're not gonna move it around much, but for a permanent stand mine is pretty good.

Me53 and AshAid like this.
  6. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have one in my shed.....very uncomfortable.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rampaige likes this.
  7. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I buy most my equipment from Sportsman's Guide.

I love ️ their double ladders for $89 and up.

I use their climbing sticks, they are fine.

No hang on's so I can't comment. I'd opt for a Lone Wolf if I went hang on.

As stated above, I upgrade my ratchets with Harbor Freight straps with higher ratings and more stability.

8. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Until you have hunted out of an old Baker Mighty Might Climber with no seat, all others are good!

gri22ly, early in and AshAid like this.
  9. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I bought the one with the larger foot platform 4 years ago, just to try it out. The seat is incredibly noisy and the stand creaks quite a bit. As others said, the straps they come with are junk. I sat in it probably 3 or 4 evenings and never sat in it again. Also, the metal grating on the floor has a give to it and just doesn't feel safe. Spend a few extra dollars and buy something a little more high quality.

10. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the hang on bought it in early July and hung it about 4weeks ago for a double set for my 11 yr old and myself and will be using it come Saturday the 30th for our Opener... when I hung it, it was easy to hang and the ratchet straps were fine, now no doubt I will place my 11yr old in the Muddy Stand I already had in place (better cushion on the seat, and just a bit more trustsworthy) but I will be in the Sportsman Guide Hang On along with my harness. I'll post back after Saturday with more thoughts

11. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been suspect of those SG cheapos, however I went w/ "cheap" River's Edge XL hang on I got for $35 on sale, its great. Its comfortable, quiet, and I feel completely secure. I did add another ratchet strap. So you don't HAVE to buy a Lone Wolf to be comfortable and secure.

AshAid and Dstever33 like this.
  12. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all of the replies and help! I'll probably just keep hunting out of my summit this season and try to catch some higher end ones on sale after season is over

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive bought a few and Ive added SS cables over their steel ones that rust and my own ratchet straps and SS cables that bolt to the tree.

[​IMG]

14. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have some big game brand $40 stands. They’re heavy but comfortable and I feel safe. They’re no more noisy that my knees and ankles when I stand up. I have a muddy boss XL that I have put many all day sits in. It weighs a ton but is comfy

15. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used them for years for permanent stands on my own property. The climbing sticks are great, never had an issue with the straps. The stand itself is small, don't expect to move around a lot. I always add another ratchet strap to secure the stand.

16. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Sportsmans Guide stand that I bought for like $25 or something crazy like that. It's been up for about 3 years now. It's very uncomfortable. I find myself standing most of the time. I even bring my own seat cushion and that doesn't help. However, for $25 I knew what I was getting into.

With that said I've never had any issues with noise. It's much less creaky and noisy than my $160 Muddy stand.

17. Big Feenz

Big Feenz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I actually just ordered and got 2 of their hang ons and some climbing sticks. I haven't used them in the field yet but I have hung a stand in my yard and I actually don't mind them. Couple points though.
    1. The climbing sticks do not stack together whatsoever. So if you're trying to get them in quietly you're basically screwed.
    2. They are really noisy when you are carrying them in also. The sit hits on the platform and is insanely loud. I tried using a rubber coating to help it but it didn't work.
    3. Everyone is saying they are extremely small and have no room but I found the opposite. They have one of the biggest platforms out of all my stands.
    4. I don't know about how comfortable they are I haven't stayed longer than 15 minutes but I already made my own seat pads. I recommend you do the same.

Overall, I don't really have the money for incredibly nice treestands so for a hang on stand that you leave all year I definitely don't think they'd be that bad. For $30 it can't really hurt, worse case scenario they aren't your favorite and you use it for practicing in the backyard.

18. RatherBArchery

RatherBArchery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure mine are Sportsman Guide or not but look similar..... I almost always get rid of those crimped cable platform supports and install chain with some sort of covering. Most times that is old garden hose I save. I also fabricate a bracket/chain assembly that replaces at least the top strap and is easier to actually hang a stand with this instead of a ratchet strap. It is bolt on and usually uses holes already in place. I also keep a 2" thick closed cell foam pad on my backpack to sit on because at 6'-2" tall most hang-on seat heights are low for me. This also comes in handy with ladderstands too.

19. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have purchased a ton of stuff from sportsmans guide and will continue to do so-they have the very best return policy of all !

20. Monks

Monks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 8 of the stands and the climbing sticks I use for permanent setups. The sticks are fine and work great. The stand you mention is small but it works. I just put a better seat cushion on it and I have no trouble sitting all day in them. One thing I did do to all of them is add some chain to the stand cables so that there is no way the platform will let lose. I also use a ratchet strap as previously mentioned to tighten the stand better. All in all for the money they are great

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums