Spooked two does. Should I return?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by EVO100517, Sep 27, 2019.

1. EVO100517

EVO100517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Spooked two does this morning.
    Large doe came in and may have been onto me slightly but didn’t run off. Walked right past my right side around back. I gave a doe bleat and she stopped. I did it again and she took off. The other doe was clueless but she took off because of the other doe.
    I didn’t have a clear shot. Maybe I was impatient and shouldn’t have did the doe bleat.
    I was using a fawn distress call before they came in. I’m not sure if the call is what actually got them coming or if this was their daily path.
    Should I return in the morning or did I spook them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you definitely overworked the call. I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt the stand again if your hidden well. If the same doe returns she will be on alert but unless you are stuck out in the open you should be fine.

3. EVO100517

EVO100517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m covered pretty well. I may go slightly higher tomorrow. I was about 15 feet up.
    I didn’t have a clear shooting lane so I need to fix that in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    your question depends on if u have other good hunting location options, whether you’re doe or buck hunting or both, and how many other deer are in the area. a camera might help u decide, but it sounds like you’re ok with returning. and i agree it’s probably not a bad choice unless u have better place to go. i wouldn’t stay home tho unless you’re rationing your vacation time.

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it was a older mature doe, I doubt she will walk within shooting distance of that tree. I would move 50 yards down wind on my next sit and see if you catch her off gard. She will probably check that spot with the wind every time to see if your hunting. Hunting educated old does can be fun and frustrating at the same time!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, I would not use that call on her anymore either. if you saw you now she may associate that call to you.