Solid Broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by killer chill-r, May 16, 2017.

1. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 300 spine fmj's was a little stiff & couldn't get them to fly as good as I wanted them to. Could only get them group about 3" at 30yrds with my 100gr German Kentic's. So decided to check paper tune & was get a slight right tail tare. Install 125gr head & got perfect bullet hole after bullet hole. Picked up the Solids in 125gr today & at 20yrds they are shooting awesome. Can't wait till tomorrow to stretch them out. Now we're weighing in at 560grs. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Jeepwillys and TheHardWoods913 like this.
  2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is your setup if you don't mind me asking? I think I might have to go to 300 spine.

sent from my mini hand held phone

3. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn

You're a lot more arrow than me. I'm shooting 70 pounds 27 draw with a carbon express 250 and shoot bullets thru paper and group tight with 100 grain Solids.

What bow are you shooting such a heavy spine from ? You @ 80 pounds and 30 draw ? I bet your arrow hits like a freight train !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    ChillR set at 70#, 30" dl & 85% Rock Mods

5. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    ChillR 70#, 30" dl 80% Rock Mods.

I can shoot a lighter spine but I wanted a heavy arrow. I was shooting 340 spine at 482gr, but I couldn't get a good tune through paper with a my 50gr inserts installed to bump the weight up. Showed a weak spine. Go to the 300 spine with 50gr inserts, 2 blade fixed heads wouldn't fly correctly, shoot through paper & get a slight right tail tare, put 125gr heading & got bullet hole after bullet hole.

What bow are you shooting & arrow length? 250 spine is pretty light for 70lbs.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love those Solids. I shoot the 100 grains with 1/2 bleeders. I shot a doe last fall and even only shooting 50# and a light 320grn arrow it zipped right through a doe and the blood trails was excellent. I know it was a combo of my whole setup not just the heads, but I am still a fan of the Solids now.

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  7. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Halon 32, 65 lbs, at 30 DL. I'm currently shooting a 340 spine Easton axis. But I haven't shot broadheads yet with my bow since I got it last December. I'm anticipating I'll have to go to 300 spine, and then thinking about going to FMJs.

8. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    I love a heavy arrow. The 300 spine fmj's are awesome at 12 gpi. My bow is super quite to.

9. mikey custom-g

Dislikes Received:
    What bow are you shooting & arrow length? 250 spine is pretty light for 70lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums[/QUOTE]

Actually I was kinda pissed my guy used 250 spines. I wanted 350. He wanted to prove a point to me. Just before he tuned this carbon Hoyt I gave him a K&K bow that wouldn't tune unless you used a railroad tie for an arrow. It had a inferior cam system and too much nock travel and only an over spine would correct it.

When he showed me the paper tune with the 250, which actually is on the borderline spine, despite me wanting the heavier shaft, it was hard to argue with the results. I said leave it be.

That was on a Matrix. 2 bows later I bought a Carbon Spyder Turbo Z cam. He strung it and set it up and tuned it with Carbon Express Reds, 250's again ! Damn it ! Lol I bitched again but that bullethole hypnotized me again.

I have bought Carbon Express Blu's in 350 but have used them hunting or papered them yet. I really want the 350's because I hog hunt. I really should be using FMJ like you because of this. They I feel hit hardest, penetrate most because of their weight and slim profile.

10. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I also love a heavy arrow, but on the fence whether I like the idea of building a new arrow setup. The wife won't like to hear that I need to buy a new set of arrows when I have others that are in perfectly good shape. :lol:

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Jeepwillys likes this.
  11. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet!!! I love it!!!! I have a simililar arrow set up with my No Cam at 27.5" @ 71lbs, 300 spine Gold Tip Kinetics (the first generation Kinetic's) arrow cut to 27" with 160 grains upfront (a 100gr Solid and insert/weights 60gr). Total arrow weight is 495gr with a 13% FOC, def a heavy hitter so I can imagine how yours performs with the added weight!

killer chill-r likes this.
  12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a GK and a Solids fan boy. Both shoot great and are devastating on game.

I'm shooting my "UNTUNEABLE" K&K @62#'s @ 28.5" draw with 340 Easton ACC's and 100 grain GK's or Solids. It is very consistent to 50, field points and broad heads hit the same POI. Love that set up but a bunch of deer and turkeys don't.

Jeepwillys and TheHardWoods913 like this.
  13. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are the solid legend 100 grains worth that much money?

14. mikey custom-g

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Stalked this South Florida 9 point to 47 yards. Hoyt Carbon Element, Carbon Express 250 Maxima Hunters, 65 pounds. Original Solids Legends 100's, before selling out to Elite.

Arrow hit was pretty much a pinwheel, not that I'm some crackerjack shot, every squirrel finds a nut. Upon impacting, in appears the arrow angled upwards and blew threw the spine area on the exit side. Instant death.

One point to consider. These south Florida deer fully grown are 150 pounds, so very smallish. Would a 450 grain arrow reacted the same way upon impact ? I doubt it. I think the KE and weighted momentum would have smashed thru straight without the upward angle.

killer chill-r likes this.
  15. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The deer in my area are about the same size..... so might consider

16. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

17. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

My wife questions all of my "NEEDED" hunting purchases but I sure do like them.

18. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    So far I'm really liking the 125gr. Haven't got to shoot them past 40yrds but so far they group with my field points after a minor rest adjustment.

19. mikey custom-g

Dislikes Received:
    This is right next door to you brother,,,, Palmdale,,,, Lykes Bros lease next to Fisheating Creek. I've been a member since 2011. Really like it.

20. mikey custom-g

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously,,, if I had my druthers, I'd use a 350 Carbon Express. I've hunted Macon, Mississippi and deer there are much bigger boned I'd say in most cases.

I truly believe in a heftier arrow for several reasons. Most of my shots for wild boar are chip shots from a tree stand Florida platform from 30 or less yards or reasonable stalking distances, unlike this particular instance. I had never in my life had an IBO arrow and just wanted to check it out. They shoot fine but I think a mid 400's grain arrow is far better all around.

Now this is just my opinion. Opinions are like toilet seats. Just wanted to share my findings and thoughts.