Smoking Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bakedbeans, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Bakedbeans

Bakedbeans Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does smoking cigarettes while deer hunting actually scare them off?

2. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Big bucks don't like anything that is off, so probably not smell so much but the movement would get you busted.

3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, after my buddy quit he started shooting big mature bucks every year.

4. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the wind is wrong, you can smoke or not smoke and never really know the bucks you've spooked. And motion, of course, as mentioned by Bradn.

5. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No of course not ! LMAO It's a totally natural smell in the woods :p

6. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Smoke happens all the time in the woods.....

7. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not burning tobacco

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So a whitetail somehow knows that is tobacco burning? I think not.

9. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would never do it but I know lots of successful hunter's that do. Maybe it's luck or it covers their scent. Remember your mouth puts out as much scent as your entire body.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, they must know the difference between chimney smoke, cigarette smoke, or somebody burning brush? Please. As mentioned, it would be the movement associated with smoking that could/would get you busted, not the smoke itself.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The deer may investigate to pinpoint where the smoke is coming from but it will not bolt from the smoke.

12. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A non issue for me but it sure turns off women!

13. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man I used to smoke and the odor from cigarettes is not even close to the older of a brush fire or a woodstove. Do deer like it? Hhhmmm well maybe they do? What brand tobacco would be best ? Menthol or chocolate or Vanilla ? Movement is a no brainer and scents and smells not natural IMHO is not a benefit. Yea I used to smoke and in my stand and never ever did I kill a deer doing it. Quitting is your best option. He'll why descent your clothes and gear or wear scentlock clothing LMFAO. A question was asked and as a member and being 48 years old I think I have some experience. But hey do what makes you successful :rant:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  14. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We smoke in the woods and when the wind was right, it didn't a difference. My wife killed three deer and four hogs this fall with her gun, all animals inside sixty yards, NONE shot from an elevated stand...all from a turkey chair hidden amongst dead fall.

I arrowed a buck and had just put out a smoke not five minutes earlier. I smoke AND dip snuff in the woods.

Now...motion and having your hands full can indeed be a deal killer. You just aren't ready to shoot. You can get away with that in a big box blind gun hunting over a field maybe, but not inside 20 yards bow hunting.

I had been standing for two hours one morning last October. My back was killing me, my feet were asleep. I sat down and lit a smoke. A friggin doe came from behind me and passed to my right on its way into the cypress bottom. Had I not been smoking (hands free to hold a bow), I could've gotten a shot. I had to just chuckle at my worst possible moment for taking a break.

15. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take a seat for an hour or so on the upwind side of a nice large oakridge with acorns dropping in the evening just before dark---light up a smoke see what happens then you will know ! I hav and it aint pretty nough said

16. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see cigarettes scaring deer away but it will make them more aware and on edge.

I have vaped while hunting for the last 5 years and have been successful 4 out of those 5 years. The big ol sweet smelling vape clouds don't seem to scare anything away but it does draw their attention.

17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am a smoker. I've smoked some while hunting but try not to very hard. I use nicotine gum most of the time when I'm out. You can smoke in the stand and be successful but you make it much harder on yourself. Most hunters play the wind even with their own scent. Deer down wind of the cigarette smoke will smell it and I would think steer clear of the scent for quite a ways away so you would potentially be spooking deer you didn't know were there. On top of it the wind 500 yards away could be going another direction completely and potentially swirl it around quite a bit blowing the smoke who knows where.

My advice from another hunter who smokes, find ANYTHING you can to curb the addiction until you are out of the woods, out of your vehicle and out of your hunting clothes. Smoking while bow hunting, or rifle hunting, will only make it 10 times harder and it's already hard enough.

18. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This has been beat to death but I'll add my opinion....I am a smoker and I don't have any direct yes or no answers....what I can tell you is that about 3 years ago I completely stopped smoking on the stand and even while I was wearing hunting clothes (trying to quit all together now....hate my habit)...it occurred to me that I take all these precautions to try and harvest a mature deer and I'm sitting here puffing away watching the smoke clouds travel through the woods...why would I spend all this time and money to turn around and do something that could most certainly hurt my chances whether it be movement or smell...what i can tell you is that since I stopped doing it I've seen and harvested more deer including my biggest buck to date...is it directly related...absolutely no idea...but I can't help but think about the ones in years past that got away or I didnt see because they knew I was there before I even heard or saw them...and all possibly because I was puffing away....I enjoy hunting more than smoking...and as we all know...successful hunting is even more enjoyable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  19. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well said. I hate my habit too but you know as I do, it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to not do in my life. I can't get over the feeling of after 3 or 4 hours, it's feels like something is missing when you breathe. Like you aren't getting enough air or something. At any rate, if you find something that helps you quit please let me know. I completely know it's all on me and my will to quit but man it's hard. My uncle said he used various types of drugs in the 80's and said by far smoking was the hardest to quit of anything. Good luck to you my friend and I wish you success in beating this addiction. Maybe we need to start a forum support group!!!

20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My nose is not on the same planet as a deer's; and I can not only tell the difference between cigarette smoke and "natural" smoke but usually even the difference in the quality of cigarettes making said smell.

If a buck has a couple of close shaves with hunters who smoke, you can bet that he will associate the smell cigarette smoke with danger.