Sitka Sub-20 Weather Gear Opinions (Overall Sitka Discussion)

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tynimiller, Dec 30, 2017.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I officially decided to start investing in serious gear and Sitka has won out over First Lite after a ton of research, reading, and first hand opinions and even holding a few articles from each.

However, this year still having a buck tag when FRIGID weather has hit I've officially decided my most crucial time frame I need help in is when temps are flirting with single digits or colder...

I currently do all my hunting from a stand and while that may change in future I don't want to depend on a blind in order to hunt FRIGID weather.

Those with Sitka gear give me your thoughts on which Bib and/or top(s)?

I will be adding Minus33 Expedition level top/bottom as well (currently only have midweight).

Any personal experience advice greatly appreciated!

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the incinerator and had the fanatic. I sold the fanatic this year and kept the incinerator.

Both have plusses and minuses when comparing them to one another.

The fanatic is quieter and has the front kangaroo pocket.

The incinerator is warmer, less bulky, lighter weight, packs smaller and is also waterproof.

The incinerator wins out for me for cold weather.

I have just about every piece in the whitetail line, if you have any specific questions let me know.

4. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X 1000 on the incinerator. High loft down is the best insulator available, and that is what the incinerator is made from. I have a first generation EVI suit which was 100% down. There is nothing that kept me warm until I got that suit, the same applies today. I understand the EVII uses a different concentration of down vs. synthetic so it may be slightly less warm, but it will be the warmest suit they have. FYI. I split a seam well over a year after purchasing my suit. It was my fault, steps for climbing are far apart, it had nothing to do with the product. I called sitka for a repair option but they sent me a new suit immediately, even before they got my damaged bibs back. Not only excellent quality and design but also the best service.

Make sure to layer. I travel wearing a single light layer (regardless of the temps.) and as I cool, add another layer and then the incinerator. Also, got the hand muff, it is a lifesaver for sure.
    T

5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using nothing but Sitka gear for whitetails since 2010 or 2011 ... time is running together these days. Anyway, I agree, for cold weather the two options are the Fanatic and Incinerator series for an external garment. I don't hunt often much below 20F. I own the Fanatic bibs and jacket. I've not owned the Incinerator, but have held them in hand and spoke to enough people who own them. Like others said, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Both work very well in below freezing conditions.

Fanatic
    Pros ... Windproof, very warm, super quiet, kangaroo pocket (lined with unicorn fur!), camo pattern is softened due to berber material (I like soft edges to camo pattern as I think they blend better especially against the sky as a deer looks up).
    Cons ... BUR magnets! Do not wear the gear walking through burs or briers. Expensive.

Incinerator
    Pros ... windproof, waterproof, ultra warm, more packable.
    Cons ... loud (this is subjective though). More expensive.

Both work well. A lot complain about the way the Fanatic picks up burs. Personally, it hasn't been much of a problem for me. Most of my stands have trails or open fields that avoid burs. When I have to track a deer through thick stuff, I simply take the gear off before I enter these areas. I would over heat anyway wearing it while tracking a deer. Both the Fanatic and Incinerator will lead to over heating if you walk any distance even in the coldest of temperatures.

I think the ideal setup is the Incinerator bibs and the Fanatic Jacket.

As to layering under them, most anything works. If you want a great pair of pants to layer with under the stuff and don't care about the camo pattern, look at the Dakota pants that Sitka makes under their waterfowl lineup. I have a pair in plain brown color that I wear under my waterfowl or deer hunting gear. They are the most comfortable pants that I have ever worn and make an amazing layer for very cold weather. Up top, I generally go with a merino wool base (Cabela's generic stuff), then like a Traverse layer, and an older Kelvin vest that I have (both by Sitka). Layering all depends on the weather. I will layer differently based on 30F vs 20F or wind vs no wind.

tynimiller likes this.
  6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ty I will get back to you on this with my setup and how it performed in -20 temps this past week when I get a chance to write up something! :tu:

tynimiller likes this.
  7. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Throughout the season I change up my setups depending on the temps. Below you'll find what has worked for me.

Early Season - This year it was very hot temps in mid September into mid October. If it was over 60 degrees I opted to not hunt based on my current setups as they would be too warm. I did hunt on October 21st in 70 plus degrees (never again!!) which wasn't very tolerable. However for my lightweight early season setup I went with Stratus Pants/Mock Tee long sleeve/fanatic gloves/fanatic hoodie (if I needed one more layer), and a ball cap.

Mid Season - This year during my rutcation a really cold coldfront came through. In a week we went from 70 plus to 28 degrees and snow/ice. It was humbling and quite a shock. During this time I had two layers of Sitka (not including base layers). First Layer was Stratus Pants/Mock tee long sleeve/Fanatic hoodie/Fanatic gloves. My second layer was when I added my Celsius Jacket/Fanatic Bibs/Incinerator GTX Hat. I did however not need my Fanatic Jacket. There were times that I did get a little chilled but I didn't get pushed out of the stand once from cold. The temps I got down to were 14 degrees.

Late Season - As you know this past two weeks it's been cold as hell! Last week I sat 3 afternoons and harvested a doe. The coldest it got with the windchill was 20 below. I only sat for around 2 hours an afternoon but my setup was flawless in my opinion. This is what I went with. Base layers (used under armour 4.0)/Mock Tee long sleeve/Stratus pants/Celsius Shacket/Fanatic hoodie/GTX hat/Fanatic Bibs/Fanatic Jacket. I did also have an extra set of gloves but only used it on my bow hand, not my release hand. In this setup I felt constricted and bulky but when it's that cold it's give and take.

Let me know if you have questions! :tu:

tynimiller likes this.
  8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Marauder and DEC you guys I think have sold me on possibly going Incinerator Bibs as my outer bottoms....top I know I want the Fanatic Jacket and Hoodie as well....

Can you guys all describe exactly how "loud" these incinerators are??

IF I go Fanatic Bibs vs the incinerators....is all you're really losing performance wise the waterproof aspect?

Marauder likes this.
  9. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have the incinerators so I can only speculate. But looking through their site and having a lot of experience with the fanatic bibs, here's my take.

They seem very different overall in my opinion. The fanatic bibs have the berber fleece lining. Good for quietness, however it's a magnet for burs. I don't have that problem a lot in the northwoods though. Plus I pack in my bibs on my pack and dress at the tree. Also that is another thing it seems the incinerator is good for (packing). It seems like it packs better than the fanatic. I didn't have much problem rolling up my fanatic bibs and strapping them to my pack though. The waterproof part is definitely a difference. I haven't experienced a downpour in my fanatic mostly cuz I won't hunt in one and also if I'm considering wearing the bibs it's probably cold enough that it will snow instead of rain. With snow I had no problem keeping dry in my fanatic bibs but the snow does seem to grab onto the berber fleece (something to consider). Also there is a price to consider. A hundred dollars difference. In my opinion I would save the hundred for another piece of Sitka gear possibly the incinerator hat. :tu:

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    To be fair.....if I'm gonna drop money towards have Sitka from head to bibs....$100 either way just isn't gonna make a difference LOL. However, I do get what you're saying. Longest walk I have is about 400 yards....which I easily can dress in a corner about 50 yards from tree so overheating would be non-issue. So many options...

Marauder likes this.
  11. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Ty, I sent a PM to your Facebook. :tu:

tynimiller likes this.
  12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m in the same boat as you but a little behind you Ty. I bought the game hide complete setup (early/mid/late) on clearance last year for a hell of a deal but when it comes down to it apples are apples. For the money I have a great “par for the course wardrobe”. Why am I never satisfied?? I still have been kicking back and forth Sitka vs first lite vs Pnuma and get extremely overwhelmed every time I start trying to piece everything together. I swear I’ve just thought about buying every piece they make. Although i think I’d have to sell a kidney to afford it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I have sold one firearm already, and will be moving an AR as well to help fund this purchase as I cannot justify spending the household budget on my hunting apparel...wife would never approve LOL

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll have to pull some strings as well. I have a lot of junk I can peddle to help aid the purchase also. Might sell an ATV or trailer. Just curious have you read anything about Pnuma? I know it’s a Robinson Outdoors reincarnation but it really looks like quality stuff with a lifetime guarantee. Something keeps drawing me back to it. Overall though I think Sitka has won me over due to all the positive feedback from guys like Tim who really put the stuff to the test.....-20. That’s insane

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wanted to thank the OP on this thread and all the contributors so far. I am currently considering dropping the coin on this gear. All the input is useful and appreciated, and now I don't have to start a thread about it. Garage sale coming soon. :lol:

Marauder likes this.
  16. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m currently in a stand hunting, I’m wearing UA cold layer base top and bottom. On the bottom I have Sweat pants over them with stratus pants as outer layer. Top I have stratus Jacket with celcius jacket over top. I’m wearing the stratus windstopper beanie with Fanatic gloves, (have the index and thumb cut off on both hands) I use the Sitka hand muff also. When wind picks up I put on the neck gator on. I’m plenty warm with this setup, first year with Sitka gear and couldn’t be happier or warmer. I also have a Fanatic Jacket on the way, I keep picking up pieces when I have some extra money. It’s currently 15* with 9mph wind. A few days ago I was out in -2* and was still plenty warm. You won’t be disappointed.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Pnuma was not one I directly began researching in depth wise...only heard their name. Gonna go google them for the first time.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Pnuma looks legit, and a solid company and material. IF it weren't for the discount I can grab Sitka at, I would definitely spend some more solid time with Pnuma as by comparison they are priced better overall.

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very informative thread. I'm in the same boat as you guys... I don't think I can drop that much money from the main budget on a new set of clothes. I want to so badly though. Will keep the posts in here saved in case I get some additional income in the future.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    If it wasn't for selling off stuff (hope to move my Ground Hog Max shortly too) I'd most likely be looking at a piece a year....I still know once I make the list and add to cart I'm going to struggle mightedly with clicking submit.

Only thing I've ever spent over a $1000 on that I didn't live in, had wheels or could hunt (land) was a wedding ring...honestly it could be lower at like $700 or so as my bow's have either been Missions or used.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018