Single vs multiple pin sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marshhunter1221, Mar 17, 2017.

1. whitetaildna

whitetaildna Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've always used a multi pin sight, but will be switching over to a single pin this summer. I've been hesitant in the past because of the added movement, but after talking to a lot of people, if you do it right, you shouldn't have to move a single pin during a shot opportunity. Having a single pin sight will also allow me to practice at much further ranges, up to 70+ yards. Obviously I would never shoot a deer at that range (my max is about 40) but I've learned that by shooting at long distances, you can more easily find the little mistakes you have in your form and shot sequence. I think that by being able to practice at this distance more effectively with a single pin, it will help me become a more accurate shot at closer ranges.

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a single pin so that I can practice out to 100 yds in the off season and dial in precise yardage while hunting.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about going to a single pin sight this year. I would like to set it at 25 yards, and simply hold a little high or low depending on the shot length.

Thinking about going with this one...

[​IMG]

4. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, not your reasoning is backwards but backwards to my reasoning.
    I think that having a 3 pin is better for tree stand hunting as shots usually come from closer distances with less time to range, adjust, and shoot. 3 pins in this situation allows you to put the right pin on and shoot. This is beneficial especially as the animal makes adjustments quickly (goes from 20 to 15 yards, to 18 to 22).
    In longer shooting situations like out west when 60+ yard shots are much more common I think a single pin would be way more beneficial. It would be very tough to correctly gap the pins. Lets say you have pins set at 50 60 70, a animal walks by at 65, you have to split the pins, but not exactly in the middle. That seems much more difficult than ranging the animal, turning the dial and shooting.
    I probably could have simplified that but thats my thought.

5. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will say I am starting to understand the merit of a single pin as bows shoot flatter and one setting can give +- 15 yards with a slight hold over. I would definitely like to try one out.

6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking of doing the same thing. I shoot a Trophy Ridge 3 pin right now, might have to check out that single pin.

virginiashadow likes this.
  7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I and many hunters who mainly hunt from treestands, have gone to a single pin. With practice, only one
    pin is needed for most shots out of a treestand. The clearer sight picture is worth the extra practice. I have killed more deer in the past two years with a single-pin than I did in the previous six years using a 5-pin. I missed alot with that 5-pin because I had a hard time deciding which pin to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Kfili likes this.
  8. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got it. I'm on your page in that respect now, I just upped the DW on my bow and as I have to move my pins closer together, I think I could benefit too from the single pin.

cantexian likes this.
  9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went back and forth several times. I've finally split the difference with a 2 pin floater from MBG, Ascent verdict. Love it.

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  10. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the whole concept to a single pin, used one for years before it even became "popular". There is, however, a big difference of aiming high at 40 yds with a 30 yd sight in and aiming high at 60 yds with a 30 yd sight in...

Josh/OH likes this.
  11. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Always shoot single pin. That's just me

12. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. I'm strictly talking about the whitetail woods and 35 yard max shots. If I were out west hunting multiple species, I'd definitely go with a multi pin sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadrunner likes this.
  13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted single pins for years and they were fine hunting from a stands but cost me some game on the ground. Now I only use 5 pin sights and currently a Black Gold 75 Pure which is adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just switched to an HHA 5510 Optimizer and absolutely love it. I was hesitant about removing my 5 pins, but having a single adjustable pin is great. Much better sight picture in my opinion.
    My theory: Set at 25yards, should cover most all deer stand shots. If hunting fields, it gives that extra few seconds to adjust and perhaps get my shooting fundamentals in order prior to releasing. Just my theory, extra second or two my help with "buck fever" making you think about your shot first.
    https://www.amazon.com/HHA-OL-5510-Optimizer-Sight-Black/dp/B003DQZQCA

virginiashadow likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    MN, I'm thinking about going to the Slick Trick Standards this year. Blood trails pretty good?

16. Marshhunter1221

Marshhunter1221 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely love my HHA single pin and am far far more accurate with it than I ever was with my multi pin sights. And if you have never tried on I suggest you do before you knock it. I was stand offish about them until I just said screw it and got one. I will not go back to a multi pin sight if I can help it

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

17. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find a multi pin better when shooting at unknown distance. Like at an unmarked 3d shoot or a spot and stalk without a range finder.

Guessing yardage isn't one of my super powers.

I don't pick a pin until I'm at full draw and use them all together as a scale of distance before letting one settle on the target.

If I owned a rangefinder, I might be more inclined to use a single pin sight.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

18. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Single pins are great as long as you have time to either adjust the sight or the target is close enough to either be just a tad high/low in the shot. I once lost the opportunity on a plump cow elk one year because I had my single pin set for the shot ranges I was in that day and it was set at 30 yds. Then I had a "caught with your pants down" opportunity at 52ish yds and couldn't get ths sight adjusted in time.

For me, I find it easier to gap with the choice of the closest pin with it still on the target rather than above or below the target - gives a better frame of reference. Hunting out west, it is common for your target to move several yards before you get the shot you want while in open country and on the ground.

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The blood trails will always be good if you put the arrow where it needs to be ;)

20. StPJohnson

StPJohnson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Single pin for me definitely.