Sight housing size

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Dec 12, 2019.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good day all,

I have always used a 2 inch housing on my sight and am happy with my setup. I have always heard the phrase aim small, shoot small, and was curious how many have used something smaller like 1 5/8. I’m aware the peep corresponds with housing size. I am always looking for ways to improve and was curious what the consensus was on this. Thanks and god bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always preferred a smaller peep size, so I really like my 1-5/8 HHA housing since it allows me to use a smaller peep to match the housing. I also have a smaller Cobra fixed pin sight that matches the same peep so I can switch between the HHA for 3d and the Cobra for hunting.
    Probably really comes down to eyesight in the long run. Some struggle with low light conditions so they need a larger sized peep, but poor eyesight usually works better with a smaller peep to "focus" their eye.
    As far as aim small, miss small, I think as long as the housing and peep match then it comes down to size of pins and what you use as your POA. I call it "pick a spot". I used to have a bad habit of just holding in the vitals area for both game and 3d targets. It resulted in not hitting that "10" spot quite frequently. I had to put a note on my bow that said "Pick a spot dummy!" for quite a while to remember to pick out a small spot to aim at, such as a tuft of hair or a damaged part of the foam on a 3d target. To this day when hunting and I have an animal approaching one of my steps in preparing for the shot is to tell myself to "pick a spot!".

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I also prefer the 1 5/8" housing on my sight, paired up with a 3/16" peep. They work well together and I've never had issues in low light with that size peep. When I shoot a bow with a 2" housing it looks HUGE.

4. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All good advice. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 inch housing and 1/4 inch peep. Getting old suck this is what works now.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk