Shoulder Surgery Blues

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BrassMonkey911, Jul 19, 2017.

1. BrassMonkey911

BrassMonkey911 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I know there is probably someone searching shoulder surgery and how long before the doctor says you can pull a bow back........cause I sure did... So I thought I'd share my little experience.

January I injured me Left shoulder. It popped out then popped back in after a fall. I did not think it was that bad of an injury until the MRI showed a torn Labrum and torn Glamohumeral Joint on my Anchor arm. No damage to the rotator cuff. So I had surgery at the beginning of April. My left arm was in a sling for a solid month (terrible experience, lots of muscle loss). I had three months of physical therapy. I followed the directions of my doctors and Physical Therapist to the letter.

Well Yesterday....... The Surgeon gave me the OK!!! to PULL MY BOW BACK!!! YES!!!

So for you folks that might have injured shoulder like I did and just looking for an idea of "How Long?"

Solid 4 Months from Surgery in my case before I was allowed to pull it back. Its at 54lbs but it feels like 64lbs.

2. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well first, I know how you fee, I had the almost same shoulder surgery but add a couple more issues!! I had my surgery on my bow hand(right arm) in March of 2015. Like you sling for months, rehab etc. I was a mess, doc said start normal activities around July. Slow and easy is the key, muscle memory is a real thing, I was shooting fully in August. We all heal different, so take your time, stretch out the shoulder etc. You'll be feeling great in a couple months. Not to be a debbie downer, but I still have pain, numbness etc, we are not the same after surgery. Hang in there, it'll all work out!! Keep us posted!!

BrassMonkey911 likes this.
  3. sundevil180shooter

sundevil180shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In a similar boat. Tore my pec in April, sling and zero movement until end of May. PT scheduled for 6 months and cant lift more than 5 lbs until the end of August. Basically scratched this year off the books. Guess all those "give him another bucks" get the automatic pass from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Between my crazy youth and a few good car accidents I've broken close to 20 bones. Got a ton of metal in my body. Hang in there. A shoulder break put me behind a crossbow for a FEW YEARS so consider yourself lucky. I really didn't think I'd ever be able to pull a bow back again.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Horrible, feel better

6. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had neck surgery a few years ago and became almost exclusively a gun hunter. Bought a new bow last year and started over. Hang in there. It takes awhile,butyou'll be back.

7. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had shoulder surgery 2 1/2 years ago. I tore the tendon loose from the bone and the tendon frayed. I had to have the tendon grays clipped and the tendon reattached using 3 anchors. My shoulder was bad for a few months. I didn't even attempt to pull a bow for like 6 months. But mine was bad enough that I had to go to re-Han for like 2 months.

It all depends on a person by person case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk