Shot distance

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Paul Tirkalas, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Paul Tirkalas

Paul Tirkalas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Brand new to hunting this year, it's been a blast so far. I've been trying to learn as much as I can. Sonething I've noticed frim articles, forums, and videos..... Whitetail hunters keep their shots under 40 yds, elk hunters are taking shots at 60 yds. Why is that? Is it maybe because the target's bigger?

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Kfili likes this.
  3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to fit in just fine here OP.

Shane0709 and Kfili like this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Generally speaking, yes. Elk are also less prone to "dropping" at the sound of the shot than a whitetail. Not to say they don't do it because they do, however history has proven they do it less often and with a larger target you have a higher likelihood of still connecting with a good shot at that distance.

To be brutally honest, most whitetail hunters should be keeping there shots under 30 yards. Hell, under 20 if you can. The closer the better. As someone just getting started into bowhunting your focus should be on becoming the best hunter you can - meaning getting as close as you can to your prey - and less about becoming the best archer so you can shoot longer distances.

5. Paul Tirkalas

Paul Tirkalas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    @Justin Right on! Thanks man! I'm in southwestern Ontario, so lots of thick bush. As far as getting close to deer goes, is my best bet topo maps, calling and ambush hunting, or with enough practice at being quiet is stalking a viable option?

6. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Elk hunting is a ground sport, rarely in a stand. When you stalk and call a bull in, a 60 yard shot may be all you get.
    When you pattern and ambush a deer from a tree stand you have a been chance at a closer shot.
    I practice regularly out to 80 yards, it makes a 30 yard shot much easier. Would I shot a deer at 80? Nope, longest shot has been 48 and deer took a full step forward. Elk at 80? Depends, but maybe. Thank God they’re a bigger target!

Paul Tirkalas likes this.
  7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of hunters that shouldnt shoot at all. They are freaking terrible.

jstephens61 and Rick James like this.
  8. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    And you can watch most of them any evening on your TV set.

9. Paul Tirkalas

Paul Tirkalas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    @jstephens61 ok that's another question I want to ask.... I don't know anyone that bowhunts. The only places I have to learn are forums like this, tv/internet shows, and books. I gravitate towards the shows for sure, I'm a visual guy (BHOD is what led me here). How do I figure out who's legit and who's full of s**t?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  10. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    The vast majority of TV hunters are selling something. BHOD are good videos, so is Bowhunter TV IMO.
    Find a archery shop close and hang out a little. Don’t BS the guys, admit what you don’t know.
    I found my finest mentor by asking for help. Jim was the guy that everyone wanted to shoot and hunt with, but for some reason we clicked.
    Don’t over think this archery thing, it’s supposed to be fun.

11. Paul Tirkalas

Paul Tirkalas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    @jstephens61 thanks for your advice dude. Much appreciated.

12. Matt7705

Matt7705 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a firm believer that the closer the better the longest shot I have ever taken on deer is 32 yards. I shoot my bow alot and I still miss or make a occasional bad shot. I lost a pretty Nice 8 point buck this year he was at 28 yards and I just botched the shot hit him low and back it still bugs me. I hate to lose a deer it really sucks! I haven't lost one for about 10 years before this year.

13. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the addiction. Bow hunting is a very special one on one sport. IMHO the closer the shot the more satisfying knowing that you beat the prey on their grounds. I've been bow hunting over 40 years and still have never taken a first shot at a deer over 30 yards. I've taken my fair share and really hate the thought of wounding one. Elk are a much larger target and react much slower because of sheer body mass but I still haven't shot at one over 35 yards. The kill to me is not worth the chance of a wounded deer. If I need to kill at a long distance, I would gun hunt.