Scouting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by John T., Mar 31, 2020.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I check on a couple of fishing FB pages. There are states that are going as far to ban fishing due to the virus situation or a curfew. So much for outdoor activities for some people. Has pre-season scouting been a factor for getting out in the field? For someone who has private land, shouldn't be a problem. How about public land? Curious. I would like to get out myself ASAP. As soon as it quits raining, dusting off the bow and 3D target.

2. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I can’t go scout public land they better ban visits to the grocery store

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Idaho hasn't shut down any hunting or fishing on public, but right next door Washington has shut all of it down. I feel Inslee's (WA governor) ridiculous shut downs are the result of either being anti hunting/fishing and using it as an excuse, or is just completely ignorant of the process and envisions huge crowds at parking areas or trailheads. While there may be some boat launch points that this could be an issue, hunting just isn't like that. It was just announced today that the youth turkey hunt in WA has been closed.
    I'm lucky enough to share 106 acres of private ground with my sister, and right across from our property is another 300 acres owned by family that I can also access. Even if Idaho shuts down public land I will be shed hunting, turkey hunting, and attempting to spring bear bait. I say attempting because the virus restrictions/shutdowns has severely limited my being able to get my "normal" bait. Going to modify my bait barrel and see if cheap dog food will work out.

4. Aaron Miller

Aaron Miller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live on the border of WV and MD. I've been doing a good bit of my hunting on public land in MD, and with the orders they just put in place I can't drive the 20 minutes to scout some more in Maryland. Luckily I have already looked through some areas I already know fairly well and added some good intel. As for new areas, no way I'll get to scout them before the woods grows up. Right now, (hoping things improve) I want to change plans and do all of my turkey hunting in those new areas and let it double as turkey hunting and scouting. I doubt things are better by then though.

5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to all. I'm also in the dark about WA closing everything. Why? I would rather be knee-deep in a trout stream, fishing from the bank isolated from people or scouting in the thousands of acres of public land in TN than mingle with the crowds at Walmart. Outdoors is much safer, IMHO. Got a good report from the podiatrist today. Look to get in the woods next week with a camera and shotgun since turkey season comes in this Saturday!!!