Running and gunning with a bow for turkeys

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BowhunterX, Mar 19, 2019.

1. BowhunterX

BowhunterX Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Running and gunning for turkeys I have heard is hard but doing it with a bow would probably be even harder. Trying to get in a position where turkeys can’t see you. I’m probably going to give it a try this year. Any thoughts or have any of you done it before and have been successful?

2. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Truthfully never have done it with a bow. But in terms of running and gunning, I find it 100% easier than sitting in a blind. Get them to fire off, close the distance to less than 100 yards, you can have that bird in your lap 7/10 times or better. With a bow, I think have a proper backdrop and front covering, you should be in the money as well. Draw when their fan is covering their sight to you. Easy to say but I am sure extremely hard to do.

BowhunterX likes this.
  3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The hardest thing to do with the bow is to get it drawn without them seeing you. I would highly recommend getting ahead of them and setting up a spot where you can see them coming and draw before they get into your shooting lane. Their eyesight is supposedly three times better than a human being and I would not doubt that for one second. If you can see them, I guarantee they can see you and most likely will. I would recommend some early scouting to see where their travel patterns are because they’re usually very similar from day to day. Best of luck and hope you put one on the ground!

4. Big John

Big John Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been runnin and bowing turkey for along time. I killed 3 so far in 30 years, so my average is 1 every 10 years. You have to learn to draw your bow very slowly when they can't see you. When they say turkeys can see movement they are not kidding. Though I don't get a lot of turkeys I have fun giving them exersize.

cml5895 likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Watch Heartland Bowhunter - those guys are the kings of it.

mylsuhat and cml5895 like this.