Really Really Stupid Question - Type(s) of Hunting

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by MattBone, Dec 5, 2017.

1. MattBone

MattBone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is there a difference between the Bow Hunting you would do sitting in a tree stand or ground blind to the more active/mobile Bow Hunting you would do? As I type this I am wondering if you need to actively hunt animals such as Elk while a tree stand or ground blind would be better for deer.

Apologies and thanks in advance.....

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the conditions in the area you hunt, many people who ground blind hunt brush in the blinds well before they hunt them. Climbers seem to be the most portable of stands. Like me on private land if I want to be mobile I use one of the several stands I have set up on my land.

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Typically I've seen more deer hunts in stands or blinds and elk hunts are a bit more mobile/run gun type thing but...... that doesn't mean the other doesn't work.

If there is an advantage I would say tree stand or ground blind has it. While animals typically look up, the majority of their predators don't lurk in trees other than hunters. Additionally I think you can control scent better in a tree or blind. Not sure if that's what you're looking for in an answer but there it is.

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wind will ground me and change where I hunt. Icy conditions will ground me as well. Terrain limits you as well.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could say I knew from experience but I've never hunted anything but whitetail deer and turkey from a stand.

6. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you always hear Traditional bow hunters bragging about how they kill deer on the ground every year without any "fancy blinds or treestands." it is definitely more than possible,and under certain conditions can be better.

but in most cases hunting from a stand is more effective. At the very least you can see your prey better, which means you are going to be offered more shot opportunities and prepare yourself earlier than a guy who is sitting 15 yards off a deer trail. Not to mention the other reasons mentioned above.

7. Ranch Fairy

Ranch Fairy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly effectiveness. There is not enough discussion on how much "saavvy" it takes to get an ambush set right. On the more mobile hunting thing. A very high percentage of elk hunters watch and glass and plan an ambush. They may be mobile getting to point X, but the really good guys I know are looking for point X where the elk will end up and they, the hunter, can be stationary, letting them come on. You listen closely to most of the good elk bow kill stories, you'll start to hear it.

The good guys don't point it out. They let the rest of us chase them around.......

White tails are annoyingly hyper. Set an ambush.