Question about lifelines

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Woodsmaker2, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Woodsmaker2

Woodsmaker2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been following this site for years, first time actually being an active member. Was always hoping to have this question answered but never saw it posted. What does everyone do to prevent the prusik knot from freezing up. Thanks

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As in cold weather? Good question.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience, there is nothing you can do to stop it from freezing up short of taking it off the lifeline and bringing it home with you. I've never found one that was so frozen I couldn't break it loose and get it into working condition before climbing up the tree.

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I spray mine with Atsko Silicone spray. It definitely helps. It drys scent free. I use the liquid on my arrow's fletchings (feathers) too.

Longdraw likes this.
  5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great question, I walked in to my stand one morning this year and there was no way I could get it to move. Freezing rain had it iced up pretty bad, I stood there for 10 minutes with my hands cupped around it and a handwarmer on each side, still wouldn't budge. I had to walk back to the pickup and get a 6" lanyard that came with my harness to use. I started making sure I kept the lanyard in my pack from then on.
    I'm going to try to find some kind of small cover to put over my prusik knot and will leave it in an upside down "U" shaped horizontal position so water can't run down under the cover and then freeze up.
    You just reminded me I need to look for a cover of some sort. Perhaps a leg gator or something like it could be modified to work.

6. Woodsmaker2

Woodsmaker2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your thoughts. The fact that I got a response from " THE" Justin himself is one of the highlights of my life!! Only thing better was meeting Josh Fletcher and his girlfriend at a gas station this spring in central Wisconsin! Want to thank everyone for all the good information I've gotten through the years following this site and watching Bow Hunt or Die.